Home »  » Bug Reporting » Magnets for Combinatory Manufacturing
Search Search  
 () 1 Vote(s)
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Magnets for Combinatory Manufacturing [message #19236] Sat, 16 October 2010 20:19 UTC Go to next message
avatar TerraCotta  is currently offline TerraCotta
Go to my shop

Combinatory Magnets[ 14 vote(s) ]
1.Yes, please! 14 / 100%
2.No, not what Shapeways is about. 0 / 0%

I've been doing some neat things with magnets and steel prints, and thinking that having neodymium magnets as a combinatory manufacturing option that shipped with items would be the single most awesome way to expand the possibilities of combinatory manufacturing with Shapeways. They would, of course, have to cost something, but with a small magnet in a standard size us designers would only need to buy a couple of them to explore lots of different designs, while Shapeways could buy them in bulk and get a reasonably good rate. What do you guys think? Here are just a sampling of the things it would enable:

fridge magnets
awesome desk toys
pieces that pull apart and attach very intuitively
levitated portions of models, pinpoint balanced, etc.
when combined with plastic portions to provide electric insulation, 3D printed motors!
etc....

what do people think?

sincerely,
Jeff

Re: Magnets for Combinatory Manufacturing [message #19239 is a reply to message #19236 ] Sat, 16 October 2010 23:02 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar virtox  is currently offline virtox
Go to my shop
Yes, please Smile

I've also started experimenting with using magnets in designs, and it would be a great addition to have them included!

In the mean time I can recommend something like KJ magnetics, they have an awesome supply of magnets in all shapes and sizes.
And some cheap surplus stuff too.

- Artist / Engineer / Designer / Shopowner / Volunteer / Moderator -
Re: Magnets for Combinatory Manufacturing [message #19249 is a reply to message #19236 ] Sun, 17 October 2010 06:03 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
I love magnets, (piccy of a 1000 or so on my fridge) the possibilities are endless... and thanks for reminding me of something that can be done via Shapeways and some post production... Diamagnetic Levitation, write-up and video
Re: Magnets for Combinatory Manufacturing [message #19287 is a reply to message #19236 ] Mon, 18 October 2010 08:14 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar pp  is currently offline pp
Go to all my models
Good idea's

I have been looking at this before.
How would you see this happen. Just add magnets and the customers can assemble the products them selves or would you expect us to assemble the products?

Peter Paul
Re: Magnets for Combinatory Manufacturing [message #19311 is a reply to message #19236 ] Mon, 18 October 2010 17:08 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
I would say the best way to pull this off is to implement the "printed instructions by seller sent with item to customer" already desperately needed for anything that requires assembly. Then, just toss them in the box in their original packaging and leave it up to the seller to make good instructions. Otherwise figuring out how to assemble everything at Shapeways would be too tough IMO.
Re: Magnets for Combinatory Manufacturing [message #19312 is a reply to message #19236 ] Mon, 18 October 2010 17:15 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva is currently online Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
I work here
I would agree with TerraCotta.

Your friendly neighborhood Moderman
michael@shapeways.com
Re: Magnets for Combinatory Manufacturing [message #19321 is a reply to message #19311 ] Mon, 18 October 2010 19:00 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
TerraCotta wrote on Mon, 18 October 2010 17:08

I would say the best way to pull this off is to implement the "printed instructions by seller sent with item to customer" already desperately needed for anything that requires assembly. Then, just toss them in the box in their original packaging and leave it up to the seller to make good instructions. Otherwise figuring out how to assemble everything at Shapeways would be too tough IMO.

Packaging for magnets includes steel plates to trap stray magnetic fields and stop the magnetic fields from upsetting sensitive electronic equipment... also, health warnings should be included (personal injury, upset pacemakers and death due to ingestion, spring to mind)
Re: Magnets for Combinatory Manufacturing [message #19331 is a reply to message #19236 ] Mon, 18 October 2010 20:47 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Just one of many situations where I would love to ship a product with magnets: my Ultimate Desk Toy Stand
index.php?t=getfile&id=5539&private=0

Re: Magnets for Combinatory Manufacturing [message #19334 is a reply to message #19331 ] Mon, 18 October 2010 20:59 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Drawn-SteelHero  is currently offline Drawn-SteelHero
Go to my shop
That is so cool. Very Happy

Andy
Re: Magnets for Combinatory Manufacturing [message #19335 is a reply to message #19334 ] Mon, 18 October 2010 21:00 UTC Go to previous message
Go to my shop
Only $35 customised and shipped Smile

Previous Topic:Question about volume calc
Next Topic:Problem regarding my model .

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.