Home » Support » 3D Printing » Hole filled after upload
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Hole filled after upload [message #18996] Wed, 13 October 2010 10:04 UTC Go to next message
avatar Uranya  is currently offline Uranya
Go to all my models
Dear friends,
I have done a very simple B-Spline curve profile in blender to do a rotational solid.

Converted it into a mesh I do a SPIN to create an hollow bowl.

It works, and it is hollow.

But after uploading it to print it became closed in one side.
I need the model completely hollow, as in a ring.

I have tried to use Meshlab to reconstruct the mesh, but it crashes (tried Uniform Mesh Reconstruction and Surface Reconstruction) when applied.

Can you help me plese to understand this odd behaviour?
Thank you!

Model attached in x3d file format (exported from blender)

• Attachment: molder6.x3d
    (Size: 3.69MB, Downloaded 74 time(s))

Nosce Te Ipsum
Re: Hole filled after upload [message #19085 is a reply to message #18996 ] Thu, 14 October 2010 13:12 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar bartv  is currently offline bartv
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Can you post the .blend file? I can't really work with .x3d, I'm afraid..

Bart

Community Manager Europe | Shapeways
Re: Hole filled after upload [message #19096 is a reply to message #19085 ] Thu, 14 October 2010 14:41 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Dear friend, here it is the blend file.

Thanks for your availability!

• Attachment: molder6.blend
    (Size: 4.68MB, Downloaded 20 time(s))

Nosce Te Ipsum
Re: Hole filled after upload [message #19101 is a reply to message #18996 ] Thu, 14 October 2010 16:09 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar aeron203  is currently offline aeron203
Go to my shop
It looks like Bart is helping you so I don't want to jump in front of him, but for future reference, files with this error are easily fixed in Meshlab.

The reconstruction is not necessary and would reduce the quality of your model.

I took a look at the file last night and here's how I fixed it:

Filters->Normals->Re-Orient Coherently

Filters->Normals->Invert Faces Orientation

Cleaning and Repairing->Merge Close Vertices (use default values)

Saved as STL and uploaded using Inches as units

It worked for me.

Aaron - 40westdesigns.com/blog
Re: Hole filled after upload [message #19107 is a reply to message #19101 ] Thu, 14 October 2010 16:45 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Wait, sorry, your file was not in inches but in meters and had to be scaled. an appropriate scaling would be 100x which would give you a part 37mm wide, or about 1.43 inches.

Re: Hole filled after upload [message #19121 is a reply to message #19107 ] Thu, 14 October 2010 19:25 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Thank you very much for your help!

Nosce Te Ipsum
Re: Hole filled after upload [message #19141 is a reply to message #19107 ] Fri, 15 October 2010 10:30 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Hello Aeron203,

I've tried to do all you told,

but after that (using millimeters in scaling unit) it says that there is a manifold error.

Can you help me further?

Thanks!

• Attachment: molder6.stl
    (Size: 6.35MB, Downloaded 31 time(s))

Nosce Te Ipsum
Re: Hole filled after upload [message #19144 is a reply to message #18996 ] Fri, 15 October 2010 10:52 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar dizingof  is currently offline dizingof
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I fixed it for you.

http://www.3Dizingof.com
Re: Hole filled after upload [message #19149 is a reply to message #19144 ] Fri, 15 October 2010 11:45 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Wow! I didn't even have to do a thing Wink

Thanks for the help, everybody!

Bart

Re: Hole filled after upload [message #19161 is a reply to message #19144 ] Fri, 15 October 2010 13:27 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Thank you very much, Dizingof,

can I ask you where it is the problem?

I want to learn to fix it by myself.

Thanks for your help, twice!

Nosce Te Ipsum
Re: Hole filled after upload [message #19163 is a reply to message #18996 ] Fri, 15 October 2010 13:56 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
The best tip i can give you is use on your 3d modeling software an X-Ray view of the model - then check for inner walls that needs to be removed

The other tip (which i'm proud to have never used) is to just upload your model and check the box for "please fix my model for me" - than Bart will have lot's of fun with it! Very Happy

Cheers
Dizingof

Re: Hole filled after upload [message #19164 is a reply to message #19163 ] Fri, 15 October 2010 14:03 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Quote:

check the box for "please fix my model for me" - than Bart will have lot's of fun with it!

Actually, someone else will Wink (Thank God!)

Bart

Re: Hole filled after upload [message #19166 is a reply to message #19163 ] Fri, 15 October 2010 14:11 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Hi friend,

the odd thing is that blender shows the model correctly, without any wall. How you have fixed it?

Cheers

Nosce Te Ipsum
Re: Hole filled after upload [message #19167 is a reply to message #18996 ] Fri, 15 October 2010 14:16 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
The software shapeways use to check and fix your model added a wall on top your model , i removed it manually then fixed the manifold errors

Re: Hole filled after upload [message #19171 is a reply to message #18996 ] Fri, 15 October 2010 16:19 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
It seems I left out an important detail... hopefully I didn't cause you too much frustration. There is a little bug in Meshlab when scaling. If you don't Go to Normals->Freeze Current Matrix, the scaling won't be applied, and your model will still be so tiny it will cause a manifold error.

I just repeated the steps I gave you, scaled it, then used the cryptic sounding "Freeze Current Matrix" (which just means "Apply the Filter" in English), and it worked both times I tried it. I'm not sure how big you wanted it to be, but scaling 1000x (not 100x) and uploading as millimeters gave me an object 40mm wide that cost $9 in WSF material. Scaling by 100x and uplaoding as inches gave an object 100mm wide that cost $125 in WSF.

We do want to help you figure out what is going wrong and not just tell you what to click on. Here is the best explanation I can come up with of what happened:

Your spline had an extra segment, so your spin was not closed. This confused Blenders export filter and made a mess of your normals. Blenders default unit is meters, so the model was extremely small. After scaling correctly to convert the units and fixing the normals, the "Merge Close Vertices" filter closed the mesh, but left some junk from the extra spline segment inside the model (shown in the screenshot). Shapeways will accept the model with the extra geometry still inside because the software removes it automatically (called "Merging" or "Unifying").

The best solution is of course to learn these potential problems well enough to avoid them while modeling, but that is easier said than done, so I think this Meshlab approach is a good one since it is fully automatic and doesn't require you to select or manually edit anything. Meshlab can be very touchy though, I admit. I hope that clarified things a little!

Re: Hole filled after upload [message #19215 is a reply to message #19171 ] Sat, 16 October 2010 10:01 UTC Go to previous message
Go to all my models
Dear Aero203,

thank you very much for your explanations!
They are very clear, and now I realized the spline error.

Thank You!

Nosce Te Ipsum

Previous Topic:WSF - Nylon - stress relief
Next Topic:Questions about Silver - Tarnishing?

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.