Jewelry Weak Geometry/ Flexible metal Questions

Discussion in 'My Work In Progress' started by katkinkead, Jan 21, 2016.

1. katkinkead
    katkinkead Well-Known Member
    Hey everyone,

I've been working on a few different jewelry pieces, but I'm running into some issues where I need the peice to be slightly bendable to wrap around your wrist/neck.

Amoeba Bracelet: I'm sure that this will pass our guidelines, but what I'm not sure about is how long it will last IRL. In order for it to get around your wrist, it will need to be slightly opened and closed and bent every so often. I've seen that in the past this can cause our semi-precious metals to wear, and occasionally break. My question is: are some metals better than others? E.g. is brass more likely to break than silver?

Also, do you guys have any idea what is the optimal width of the band to prevent it from breaking? It's currently measured at 2.25mm.

Pics are attached below.

Now question 2: Chokers. While I definitely run the risk of the same wear/tear as the bracelet, I also keep running into problems with weak geometry so these get rejected. I'm wondering if you guys have any insights on how I can achieve the look of the choker, but avoiding geometry problems. Do I simply make it thicker, or should I just do a half choker and use a chain to keep it around my neck? I was hoping with my jewelry I wouldn't have to add any chains, etc.... but it seems like I can't get around the weak geometry issues here. Should I just give up and move on??

Amoeba Bracelet.png
    Choker1.png

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2016
  2. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    I've personally never broke any metal piece. I use brass for my zip it ring, and it flexes to fit no problem. I'd make the choker wider (taller?) but not thicker everywhere. http://shpws.me/EnLq