Home » Support » 3D Printing » About the no weapons rule...
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
About the no weapons rule... [message #18740] Wed, 06 October 2010 03:05 UTC Go to next message
avatar berky93  is currently offline berky93
Go to my shop
I fully understand and respect the "no full size weapons" rule here on Shapeways. If people were able to get their hands on cheap, realistic prop weapons with no safety indicator it would be bad and put Shapeways in jeopardy. But my question is about weapons casings.

See, I have recently completed a prototype coil gun inside an old nerf pistol. But building inside a premade case is restricting. I'd love to be able to lay out my parts, measure them, and then model a case to house them for print. Obviously I would never build (or even want, wheres the fun?) a realistic casing, but even for a completely fantastical unrealistic item I want to make sure I'm within the guidelines before preceding. Modeling that would be a lot of work. Plus I love the community here and would hate to do anything against the fairly lax restrictions.

So would something like this:
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_hpkhoQ3mZUw/Sa6IENUEaeI/AAAAAAAAAhc/yMzx7Iv8NMs/s320/Ray+Gun.jpg
be acceptable? (well, maybe something not lost in 1945)
Re: About the no weapons rule... [message #18757 is a reply to message #18740 ] Wed, 06 October 2010 12:23 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
It's not just a Shapeways Rule. It's a Netherlands law.

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate
Re: About the no weapons rule... [message #18759 is a reply to message #18757 ] Wed, 06 October 2010 14:26 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar robert  is currently offline robert
Go to all my models
I work here
Yes, the Dutch law prohibits the production of anything which resembles a gun. There is nothing we can do at the moment.

We will revisit this when we have moved our HQ to the US. We may be able to lift this restriction at some point in the near future.

Best,

Robert

[Updated on: Wed, 06 October 2010 14:27 UTC]

Re: About the no weapons rule... [message #18764 is a reply to message #18740 ] Wed, 06 October 2010 16:47 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Jonah  is currently offline Jonah
Go to all my models
You are going to have to part it to get the mechanics in so just send them several different pieces to print separately.

yes I am American, no I don't own guns
Re: About the no weapons rule... [message #18774 is a reply to message #18764 ] Thu, 07 October 2010 00:18 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar berky93  is currently offline berky93
Go to my shop
Hmm thats interesting. I never thought it was a law, just a very responsible company.

Thanks for the info everyone.
Re: About the no weapons rule... [message #18870 is a reply to message #18740 ] Sat, 09 October 2010 12:28 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar rawkstar320  is currently offline rawkstar320
Go to my shop
does that rule include toy lego gun models too? I guess I never really thought about the rule/law very hard

Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
Check out http://JakeDrews.Com and http://WondrousWidgets.Com for more designs by Jake!
Re: About the no weapons rule... [message #18871 is a reply to message #18870 ] Sat, 09 October 2010 13:11 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
I work here
No, very small guns are not a problem. But anything which could be mistaken for a real gun is not allowed. And this is interpret very wide. Think dark at night etc...
Re: About the no weapons rule... [message #18888 is a reply to message #18740 ] Sun, 10 October 2010 08:47 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar rawkstar320  is currently offline rawkstar320
Go to my shop
Ah,I understand. Seems reasonable, we dont allow Nerf Guns in the residence halls here at school. Its a bit strict, but you never know when your going to find that one crazy creative person that abuses privileges.

Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
Check out http://JakeDrews.Com and http://WondrousWidgets.Com for more designs by Jake!
Re: About the no weapons rule... [message #18953 is a reply to message #18740 ] Tue, 12 October 2010 11:03 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Drawn-SteelHero  is currently offline Drawn-SteelHero
Go to my shop
Out of curiosity (I don't plan on making lifesized replica weapons myself), would it be permissible to design it essentially in kit form? I suspect not, but I thought I'd throw it out there.

Andy
Re: About the no weapons rule... [message #18955 is a reply to message #18953 ] Tue, 12 October 2010 11:58 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
I work here
It depends. If we recognize as a gun then we stop it. If we don't recognize then well we don't know.

- Robert
Re: About the no weapons rule... [message #21746 is a reply to message #18955 ] Sun, 19 December 2010 14:56 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar spacephrawg  is currently offline spacephrawg
Go to all my models
Ok I have a question: what if I have something gun-like made in pieces, piecemeal, and over a period of time?

What if its just components for a gun (non-functional and unconventional-looking of course)?
Re: About the no weapons rule... [message #21747 is a reply to message #21746 ] Sun, 19 December 2010 15:18 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
I work here
The rule is simple. If we recognize it as a gun or pieces of a gun we are obliged by law to stop the production.

Without seeing the pieces it is hard to say anything about your specific example.
Re: About the no weapons rule... [message #21748 is a reply to message #21747 ] Sun, 19 December 2010 15:54 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar spacephrawg  is currently offline spacephrawg
Go to all my models
Righto. This is the design i was thinking of, in drawing form:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/phrawggmak/5265297396/in/set-72 157625623796874/

Not a traditional gun unless you blur your eyes and suspend some disbelief. If it isn't ok, i understand.
Re: About the no weapons rule... [message #21751 is a reply to message #21748 ] Sun, 19 December 2010 18:28 UTC Go to previous message
Go to all my models
I work here
Ok that clearly looks like a gun. If you order that it will be rejected I am afraid.

Previous Topic:Fine detail/high resolution
Next Topic:lost wax casting

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.