Home » Support » 3D Printing » Print Responsibility?
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Print Responsibility? [message #18684] Mon, 04 October 2010 12:57 UTC Go to next message
avatar Nane  is currently offline Nane
Go to all my models
I was wondering about the minimum wall detail on different materials, from 1mm on up. Sometimes it is frustrating to meet this pending the project someone is working on. If I understand correctly, the minimum wall detail is to protect the customer from making something that would generally be considered too thin or weak.

If so, I was wondering: Would it be possible to get the customary email explaining that the walls are too thin etc with the pictures showing the bad points. BUT, instead of saying it cannot be printed, what about giving the customer two options?

1. Redo your file to meet the minimum.
2. Take your chances and print the file. If you do this, Shapeways is in no way, shape or form responsible for the printed result and will not offer a refund/replacement for said model.

This way it is an oral consent to "roll the dice" so to speak. I may be mistaken, but it would take no additional implementation or work on your part and would let customers experiment as they wish?

I thought of this as I have come into this issue on model I am working on where I would REALLY like a part to be .5mm thick but 2mm wide. I understand the minimum and why it is in place but I figure would it be bad to let us experiment at our own cost if we so desire?

Thanks, just a thought I had.

Re: Print Responsibility? [message #18688 is a reply to message #18684 ] Mon, 04 October 2010 14:11 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
I work here
The problem is, failed prints can fail a whole load of prints. The printers pack as many models as they can into one load, and having a model shift or break could destroy the whole load, costing potentially thousands of dollars of material. This is why they can't just let you fail in your attempts.

Your friendly neighborhood Moderman
michael@shapeways.com
Re: Print Responsibility? [message #18689 is a reply to message #18684 ] Mon, 04 October 2010 15:37 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar aeron203  is currently offline aeron203
Go to my shop
I have made this request several times, but the policies are set by the printer operators so it seems there is no way around this.

The build error explanation only applies to the machines that produce the WSF and Grey Robust materials as far as I am aware. For example, I routinely produce parts with under 1mm thickness on a Zcorp (Sandstone material) machine in my office. At a certain point though, the processing labor becomes excessive and the volume pricing model breaks down.

Here is my solution to that: Crudely rip the parts from the build box and toss them in a box, along with a tube of super glue. Now the customer gets to enjoy putting a free puzzle back together, and gets their 3D-printed part! Very Happy

Aaron - 40westdesigns.com/blog
Re: Print Responsibility? [message #18690 is a reply to message #18684 ] Mon, 04 October 2010 15:57 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Nane  is currently offline Nane
Go to all my models
Ah, I see. I never thought about that angle before, where many jobs are printed next to each other in the same space all at once. Interesting indeed...

It is quite the pain with issues like this:
http://www.shapeways.com/forum/index.php?t=msg&th=3332&a mp;start=0&

One of my issues is I would like to get some tiny spikes done on a figure. The spikes are fat at the base and easily 1mm then they thin to a point. Perfectly printable and stable but when they thin they violate the minimum wall. I will have to print them thicker and shave them down with a razor when I get the prints.
Re: Print Responsibility? [message #18693 is a reply to message #18690 ] Mon, 04 October 2010 16:27 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stop4stuff is currently online stop4stuff
Go to my shop
Here;s an piccy of my Chained Die D6 printed in WSF

http://www.stop4stuff.com/shapeways/chained-die/images/chained-4.jpg

The detail on the end of the crossbar of the '4' is considerably smaller than 1mm, the depth is 1.5mm... to give an idea of just how thin the detail is the ring surrounding the '4' is 1mm daimeter pipe/wire

Not an answer to the issue, I know, but it does show that some real fine detail can be achieved

[Updated on: Mon, 04 October 2010 16:48 UTC]

Re: Print Responsibility? [message #18952 is a reply to message #18684 ] Tue, 12 October 2010 10:58 UTC Go to previous message
avatar Drawn-SteelHero  is currently offline Drawn-SteelHero
Go to my shop
I think your spikes should be fine, RogersX, as they ought to be counted as 'details' rather than walls. As far as I understand it, the actual structure can't have any areas under 0.7mm, but protruding details can go thinner.

Previous Topic:Colour prints from Blender (n00b with many questions)
Next Topic:WSF - Nylon - stress relief

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.