Home » Community » It arrived! » Chained Die D6
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Chained Die D6 [message #18608] Fri, 01 October 2010 14:52 UTC Go to next message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
Chained Die D6 in White Strong & Flexible.

Click on an image to enlarge.

http://www.stop4stuff.com/shapeways/chained-die/images/chained-1-sml.jpg

http://www.stop4stuff.com/shapeways/chained-die/images/chained-3-sml.jpg

http://www.stop4stuff.com/shapeways/chained-die/images/chained-2-sml.jpg

Unfortunately this model was just way too flimsy to be printed in Stainless Steel, but comes out rather well in WSF.

The chainwork is just 1mm diameter 'wires' and the numbers 1.5mm thick by about 12mm tall.

To finish this model, I'll be painting it, probably antiqued brass with gold coloured numbers (unless anyone has any beter suggestions).
Re: Chained Die D6 [message #18611 is a reply to message #18608 ] Fri, 01 October 2010 16:49 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Charmed_Life_Designs  is currently offline Charmed_Life_Designs
Go to my shop
Woah, that is trick! 3d printing combined with unique designs never fails to amaze me; some part of me expects that to just collapse in on itself...

How flexible is it? Does it cave any if you poke the numbers?

When in doubt... Duct tape!
Re: Chained Die D6 [message #18612 is a reply to message #18608 ] Fri, 01 October 2010 17:00 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
I work here
I know it's unlikely, but I'm wondering if it ever lands on a corner, especially being probably very light.

The Mad Moder
michael@shapeways.com
Re: Chained Die D6 [message #18617 is a reply to message #18611 ] Fri, 01 October 2010 19:37 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
charmed_kitty_33 wrote on Fri, 01 October 2010 16:49

Woah, that is trick! 3d printing combined with unique designs never fails to amaze me; some part of me expects that to just collapse in on itself...

How flexible is it? Does it cave any if you poke the numbers?

Thanks Embarassed

The model is quite stable, I just tested it on a set of scales... pressing on the upmost face, the scales went to 350g before I felt it was the right time to stop... the model 'gave' some, but didn't crumble.

Youknowwho4eva wrote on Fri, 01 October 2010 17:00

I know it's unlikely, but I'm wondering if it ever lands on a corner, especially being probably very light.

It will balance on a corner, but the biggest downfall is that it will stop on an edge maybe 2 times out of every 40 throws.
Re: Chained Die D6 [message #18618 is a reply to message #18608 ] Fri, 01 October 2010 19:40 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
I work here
On a smooth surface? Doesn't look as if it would sit flat that way, but like I said being light, it doesn't have the force making it to decide on a face to land on.

The Mad Moder
michael@shapeways.com
Re: Chained Die D6 [message #18620 is a reply to message #18618 ] Fri, 01 October 2010 20:02 UTC Go to previous message
Go to my shop
at 0.91g it doesn't have the weight behind it, but it does bounce Smile

Previous Topic:Gold Art Deco Brooch
Next Topic:Jumblix by OSKAR