Home » Community » Co-Creator Feedback » pricing model / consumer price
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
pricing model / consumer price [message #18287] Fri, 24 September 2010 09:21 UTC Go to next message
avatar kontor_apart  is currently offline kontor_apart
Go to my shop
Due to the nature of our models, there is a great amount of variation in volume.
We have real difficulties to define a max. volume which would

1. allow us to maintain a reasonable consumer price
  2. leave us with the flexibilty to deliver on every customer order

The story behind it:

We had received a co-creator order with a motif which was difficult to press into the previously defined max. volume. At the time we received the notification, there was no way for us to retroactively adjust the max volume for this specific order, no way for us to say:
Ok we'll process this model anyway with a larger volume and togive in on the markup...

We were completely stuck, forced to tweak the material thickness and guess what, Shapeways cancelled the order with all the negative consequences for the customer, the possible bad press for Shapeways and us, etc. etc.

Bottom line:
The current pricing model

consumer price =
(fixed max. volume * price per volume unit) + fixed markup

is really not suitable for us. We would strongly prefer something like

consumer price =
(actual volume * price per volume unit) + variable markup

equivalent to
variable markup =
consumer price - (actual volume * price per volume unit)

In essence, we are absolutely prepared to give in on the markup for certain orders, not only to avoid the hassle of cancelled orders, the impact on the customer and the negative impressions that it leaves on them.

Re: pricing model / consumer price [message #19006 is a reply to message #18287 ] Wed, 13 October 2010 15:48 UTC Go to previous message
avatar jeff  is currently offline jeff
Go to my shop
yea, I would prefer that pricing method to the current as well. We had a pretty good discussion on this issue a while back here: http://www.shapeways.com/forum/index.php?t=msg&goto=1302 5&&srch=max+volume#msg_13025
where there were lots of ideas and suggestions, so I'm sure this is something shapeways has on there to do list. For the co-creator platform to move fwd and be successful it has to be resolved.

Jeff Bare
Industrial Designer
@jbaredesign

Previous Topic:Co-creator template off, still "personalized"
Next Topic:material price change

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.