Our Gift to You: 20% off your own designs in Strong & Flexible Plastic through Dec 23, with promo code MY2014 · details
Home » Community » It arrived! » First color panorama sphere
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
First color panorama sphere [message #18164] Wed, 22 September 2010 17:40 UTC Go to next message
avatar chronopsis2  is currently offline chronopsis2
Go to my shop
Just got my first in a series of color panorama prints, mapped onto spheres and output to full color sandstone.

I was disappointed to see how dark the image ended up printing; much darker than the jpeg source. And after seeing how strong the material is, it made me wonder why there is always a 3mm thickness limit - for a model like this, it seems it could be thinner..?

Oh well. I hope my next 4 models, which are in production, don't turn out as dark, as I'll be exhibiting them with the original photographic sources.

The sphere is a little over 2" / 5.5cm high. In future models I've only made one hole, at the bottom.
index.php?t=getfile&id=5196&private=0
index.php?t=getfile&id=5197&private=0
index.php?t=getfile&id=5198&private=0

Re: First color panorama sphere [message #18165 is a reply to message #18164 ] Wed, 22 September 2010 17:51 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
Look in the post production section for tips on making the colors come out better. I believe the 3mm is more to keep the model stable in the build envelope while it's printing.

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate
Re: First color panorama sphere [message #18166 is a reply to message #18165 ] Wed, 22 September 2010 18:04 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar chronopsis2  is currently offline chronopsis2
Go to my shop
Thanks! - I looked in the Post-Production forum, didn't see anything on color issues with sandstone, other than that it can be sanded to polish - is there anything else you could point me too?
Re: First color panorama sphere [message #18168 is a reply to message #18164 ] Wed, 22 September 2010 18:37 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
I know I've seen them, but can't seem to find them. There was something about a type of varnish that brought the color out. I'll let you know if I find it.

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate
Re: First color panorama sphere [message #18193 is a reply to message #18164 ] Thu, 23 September 2010 01:52 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar dizingof  is currently offline dizingof
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Do a search on the forum on "epoxy spray" or acrylic spray - i talked about it a lot.

When spraying full color sandstone with an epoxy quick dry spray few times the colors turn more vibrant, shiny & the model is much more stronger and tough.

http://www.3Dizingof.com
Re: First color panorama sphere [message #18226 is a reply to message #18164 ] Thu, 23 September 2010 14:51 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Nane  is currently offline Nane
Go to all my models
I am a computer graphic artist by trade and one thing I have encountered quite frequently in print, no matter the format, is that what you send to the printer will always come out darker, period. I would cringe as I would lighten my final art until it looked somewhat crappy on my monitor, yet when it was printed on posters, books, shirts etc it would come out perfect.

Typically speaking, graphic designers and artists who work in print regularly use color calibrators and will also set their monitors colors and brightness via software settings to more accurately reflect what their prints will look like. You can then save these custom color settings and switch to them when you want to save some work for print. Because I mainly do graphics for web, I usually run in standard srgb profiles etc.

Windows 7/right click desktop/screen resolution/advanced settings/color management/advanced - or open the video driver control panel that runs with your video card and adjust in there, for example Nvidia.

Mac OS 10.4/System Prefs/Displays/Color/Calibrate.

Printers, video cards, monitors, etc all vary greatly. Now that you know that your work comes out darker you can adjust it lighter and know it will come out as you want it. It is a bit of a pain but that is the reality of non 3d printing.

[Updated on: Thu, 23 September 2010 14:51 UTC]

Re: First color panorama sphere [message #18398 is a reply to message #18226 ] Mon, 27 September 2010 01:15 UTC Go to previous message
avatar berky93  is currently offline berky93
Go to my shop
I absolutely agree with the above post. I am actually a graphic design student (also 3d animation, but that's a give-in) and I hate when I have to print things because they always turn out dark. Too bad it takes so long and so much money for a test print on Shapeways...

Check out my new shop Illogical!

Previous Topic:Evolutionary shells in different Genders and Bronzes
Next Topic:d1000 Spinner

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.