Home » Support » 3D Design » An example of hinge
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
An example of hinge [message #17504] Thu, 09 September 2010 19:25 UTC Go to next message
avatar Magic  is currently offline Magic
Go to my shop
Hi all,

I was asked how the hinge of the Marble Cage was done, in particular the clearances etc.
I thought that it would be interesting to share this with the community: so here it is!

This hinge is not very usual (well, at least, I've never seen it elsewhere) probably because it's quite difficult to make it without 3D printing (interlocked parts) and also because it was born from my obsession of having identical and symmetric parts (obsession not so widely shared, unfortunately Very Happy ).
It works in all materials I have tried: Stainless Steel, White Strong and Flexible and Transparent Detail.

Basically, this hinge is made of 4 torus (I guess I should say tori), two for each parts, but you can add more of them if you wish. On each part, the 2 tori are perpendicular and linked by a cylinder.

The diameter of the wire is 2 mm and the clearance is 0.5 mm. This means that the internal diameter of a torus is 3 mm and the external is 7 mm (5 mm for its axis)

Check this image, it should help to understand the dimensions and the position of each element (dimensions are in green, the rotation axis in red).
index.php?t=getfile&id=4957&private=0

This video, show the hinge is action.

As usual, comments are welcome!

• Attachment: MC.jpg
    (Size: 95.00KB, Downloaded 463 time(s))

[Updated on: Thu, 09 September 2010 21:19 UTC]

Re: An example of hinge [message #17506 is a reply to message #17504 ] Thu, 09 September 2010 20:10 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Drawn-SteelHero  is currently offline Drawn-SteelHero
Go to my shop
That's a really clever design, thanks for sharing it! Smile

Andy
Re: An example of hinge [message #17509 is a reply to message #17506 ] Thu, 09 September 2010 20:21 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar geneius4  is currently offline geneius4
Go to my shop
I agree, I think it is really quite an interesting hinge, and it is very generous of you to share.

Gene
Re: An example of hinge [message #17922 is a reply to message #17504 ] Fri, 17 September 2010 01:09 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar jeff  is currently offline jeff
Go to my shop
Helpful info here magic, thanks. I'm working on a piece that needs a hinge in stainless steel. The .5mm is helpful to know.

Jeff Bare
Industrial Designer
@jbaredesign
Re: An example of hinge [message #17943 is a reply to message #17922 ] Fri, 17 September 2010 08:45 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Magic  is currently offline Magic
Go to my shop
You are welcome. I am happy if this can help. Very Happy

Jeff, concerning the 0.5 mm, this is a minimal value that works well in this case, but be careful because it depends also on the size of the contact area.
Here is a picture to explain:
index.php?t=getfile&id=5124&private=0
In the case of the torus, the surface in contact with the internal cylinder is very small.
But, if you replace the torus by a ring with a square section, this time the area could be significant, and, in this case, I suppose the minimum clearance c will probably depend on the height h of the ring (the larger h the larger c).
This is because the powder has to escape this small space.
So depending on the shape of the areas in contact you could have to increase the clearance to 0.75 mm or even 1 mm.
Good luck!

• Attachment: clearance.jpg
    (Size: 80.26KB, Downloaded 353 time(s))

[Updated on: Fri, 17 September 2010 08:47 UTC]

Re: An example of hinge [message #17961 is a reply to message #17943 ] Fri, 17 September 2010 13:27 UTC Go to previous message
avatar jeff  is currently offline jeff
Go to my shop
understood, thanks for the clarification

Jeff Bare
Industrial Designer
@jbaredesign

Previous Topic:object resizes on export
Next Topic:Blender & Fonts

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.