Home » Community » Post Production Techniques » Mirror coating ideas?
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Mirror coating ideas? [message #17493] Thu, 09 September 2010 12:43 UTC Go to next message
avatar froland  is currently offline froland
Go to my shop
Hi!

I'd like to print a relatively simple 3D object, say a 3D parabola, and then coat it with something to make the surface reflective. It should have mirror-like reflectivity, though quality does not have to be very good. Smallest bending radius would probably in the meter range.

Does anybody have an idea if of a method to coad or glue on mirrors?

Thanks in advance!

http://www.shapeways.com/shops/frolands
Re: Mirror coating ideas? [message #17496 is a reply to message #17493 ] Thu, 09 September 2010 13:37 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Drawn-SteelHero  is currently offline Drawn-SteelHero
Go to my shop
Best way I can think of offhand is to give it a chrome finish. Alclad produce a range of lacquer-based paints which give a really nice metal finish, and among them is a gorgeous chrome lacquer. You need to apply it over a gloss black or dark grey base coat, and it's best sprayed (the bottle's formulated to be used in an airbrush, and they also produce spray cans). The finished result, if done properly, pretty much produces a mirror shine.

Here's a YouTube video of the stuff in use to show how it's done.

Hope that helps.

Andy
Re: Mirror coating ideas? [message #17497 is a reply to message #17496 ] Thu, 09 September 2010 13:50 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar bitstoatoms  is currently offline bitstoatoms
Go to my shop
I work here
Depending where you are, there are some telescope manufacturers the offer mirror recoating services. They use a vacuum process to coat the surface with a front surface mirror. Some kaleidoscope makers have them too.

Would be fairly high quality though, depending of course on underlying surface.

Duann Scott

Re: Mirror coating ideas? [message #17821 is a reply to message #17493 ] Thu, 16 September 2010 02:41 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar crsdfr  is currently offline crsdfr
Go to all my models
Vaccuum Metallizing works rather well on most 3DP objects. You'll need to make it water tight and baby-butt smooth before the metalization, and flaw in the surface will be immediately visible.

There's a whole mess of companies out there that do it.
Re: Mirror coating ideas? [message #17957 is a reply to message #17821 ] Fri, 17 September 2010 12:59 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Magic  is currently offline Magic
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Shapeways Crew
Sorry for the different topic, but this reminds me that - when I was younger - I was wondering what would happen if you put two parabolic mirrors, of different sizes, one in front of the other with their respective focal points just at the same place.
Here I draw half of the two mirrors and a sunbeam.
index.php?t=getfile&id=5132&private=0
The parallel sunbeams should all concentrate on this point without possibility to escape...
I was convinced that I could never try and I forgot the idea.
Now, what do you think? Is it feasible?

[Updated on: Fri, 17 September 2010 12:59 UTC]

Re: Mirror coating ideas? [message #17959 is a reply to message #17493 ] Fri, 17 September 2010 13:19 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
I've wanted to try a similar idea, A combination idea. If you've ever seen a crystal ball, they actually bend the light towards the center. Then I saw a video of this guy in Mexico or something that used empty soda bottles, and put water with a cap full of bleach to light his house. By having the bottles in his ceiling, collecting light and transmitting it below. So I bought a snowglobe, stole the globe, but have yet to fill it with bleach water to test if it will pull the light to the center and glow brightly.

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate
Re: Mirror coating ideas? [message #18475 is a reply to message #17493 ] Tue, 28 September 2010 06:13 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Reflective Mylar can be glued on, and it's cheap.
Re: Mirror coating ideas? [message #18587 is a reply to message #18475 ] Thu, 30 September 2010 16:34 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar GlenG  is currently offline GlenG
Go to all my models
Real mirrors work their magic because they have nearly flawless surfaces. Most surfaces created by current printing technologies can't come even close to the tolerances required to produce a true mirror surface. Because of the relatively low densities of most printing processes no amount of post finishing will produce an even edge to edge mirror finish. Selective laser sintering (SLS) might come close but the process is roughly 10x the cost for print services. Better to learn to grind your own mirrors, just like the old days.
-G

"Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art."
Leonardo da Vinci
Re: Mirror coating ideas? [message #18588 is a reply to message #18587 ] Thu, 30 September 2010 17:46 UTC Go to previous message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
GlenG wrote on Thu, 30 September 2010 16:34

Real mirrors work their magic because they have nearly flawless surfaces. Most surfaces created by current printing technologies can't come even close to the tolerances required to produce a true mirror surface. Because of the relatively low densities of most printing processes no amount of post finishing will produce an even edge to edge mirror finish. Selective laser sintering (SLS) might come close but the process is roughly 10x the cost for print services. Better to learn to grind your own mirrors, just like the old days.
-G

It doesn't need to be like 'the old days'... loads of ideas here & a satelite dish coated with reflective mylar works very well (good enough to melt aluminium with the right size dish)

Previous Topic:Best Material for Painting
Next Topic:Aluminium Casting Services?

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.