Home » Community » It arrived! » Interlinked Stars in Voroni + Video
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Interlinked Stars in Voroni + Video [message #17492] Thu, 09 September 2010 12:37 UTC Go to next message
avatar froland  is currently offline froland
Go to my shop
Hi!

Interlinked stars arrived! It's an interlinked stars sphere made with Topmod and then covered with a double layer of Voroni. That saves material and makes the ball extremely flexible. It can easily be squished. Haven't tried it to the break point yet.

Unfortunatelly, I printed it slightly too small, so some links didn't come out that well, but overall structure is fine.

Also, I played around a bit with video cutting and made this small clip of voroniRunner and neuroDodec:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0eS4Z2Mk7o

• Attachment: IMG_1769.jpg
    (Size: 181.03KB, Downloaded 139 time(s))

• Attachment: IMG_1768.jpg
    (Size: 230.68KB, Downloaded 90 time(s))

http://www.shapeways.com/shops/frolands
Re: Interlinked Stars in Voroni + Video [message #17505 is a reply to message #17492 ] Thu, 09 September 2010 20:06 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Whystler  is currently offline Whystler
Go to my shop
Very nicely intricate! Now what exactly is a voroni?

-Whystler

Check out my website: http://tshawnjohnson.wordpress.com/
Re: Interlinked Stars in Voroni + Video [message #17508 is a reply to message #17492 ] Thu, 09 September 2010 20:15 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Drawn-SteelHero  is currently offline Drawn-SteelHero
Go to my shop
I assume it refers to a Voronoi diagram.

I particularly like the Runner myself.

Andy
Re: Interlinked Stars in Voroni + Video [message #17569 is a reply to message #17508 ] Sat, 11 September 2010 10:34 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar bitstoatoms  is currently offline bitstoatoms
Go to my shop
I work here
Thanks, Whystler. Yes, it does refer to a Voroni diagramm.

Basically, the Voroni diagramm consists of lines that seperate e.g. two points exactly in the middle. I think this interactive 2D applet demonstrates the idea quite nicely.

For the interlinked stars, I use random points on the 3D surface from which the structure is then generated.

Andy, thanks. I'm actually thinking about making a version of the voroniRunner with more balls inside the Voroni cage for an enhanced "rainstick" effect.

Also, I'll try to make a lamp out of the interlinked stars. I'll let you know how it looks.

Glad you guys liked it.
Cheers!

[Updated on: Tue, 14 September 2010 15:46 UTC] by Moderator

Duann Scott

Re: Interlinked Stars in Voroni + Video [message #17648 is a reply to message #17492 ] Mon, 13 September 2010 16:14 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar lensman  is currently offline lensman
Go to my shop
I could never get TopMod to make exactly the shape I wanted. Useful for playing around with and coming up with random shapes though. Obviously you don't have that problem. Smile

Glenn

Glenn ------ My Website Third Dimension Jewellery
Re: Interlinked Stars in Voroni + Video [message #17691 is a reply to message #17569 ] Tue, 14 September 2010 12:03 UTC Go to previous message
avatar bartv  is currently offline bartv
Go to my shop
Weird! Thanks for reporting, I'll ask our team to look into this.

Cheers,

Bart

Community Manager Europe | Shapeways

Previous Topic:actually - they arrived
Next Topic:Some more dice attempts