stainless steal ring thin as possible

Discussion in 'My Work In Progress' started by 1040366_deleted, Jan 3, 2016.

1. Hi
    i'm trying to make and engagement ring for my partner and i. she does't like chunky rings so i would like to make it as thin as possible. what is the thinnest possible ring with a pattern and an engraving. the pattern i used is attached. i used a thickness of 0.5mm and a background of 2.2mm. does that make the ring 2.7 mm thick? that was the lowest combination i could find that would pass the 3d printing checks. ring size 7.25 us. i recieved an email saying i could print as low as 1mm. is that true with a pattern and an engraving?
    alain

Attached Files:

2. MrNibbles
    MrNibbles Well-Known Member
    Patterned rings can be an iffy proposition in both steel and plastic aluminum. I've had pattern heights of less than 1mm approved and then disallowed. I think you'll need the 1mm minimum of pattern height and then maybe a 1mm to 1.5mm backing will work. Sometimes It's hard to know until you submit a design since it can also be a function of the pattern itself and what they need to attach a sprue for infusing the filler bronze material. So start thinner and then keep thickening if the checkers are being picky. Unfortunately there is no print it anyway option for steel materials so you can't take a risk and order exactly what you want.

Because of these hassles and more I don't offer rings so perhaps someone with more direct experience can chime in. The steel products when used for rings are also known to sometimes leave marks on fingers with long term use since they are not 100 percent stainless steel. You might also want to consider some of the precious metal or plated options in term of skin compatibility.

3. Shea_Design
    Shea_Design Well-Known Member
    @MrNibbles Those are some interesting points, a good read - thanks. -S