Pricing - Regarding Number of Parts

Discussion in 'Design and Modeling' started by SurrealProducts, Dec 28, 2015.

1. Hi there everyone, I'm new to Shapeways!

I wanted to print a pen holder clip and pen cover in a set of 3. (6 pieces total)

picture of base mesh here: http://i.imgur.com/QXxae33.png?1

I did a test to see the cost difference between keeping them all separate (6 pieces) or connecting them all with a support (1 piece) and the price shows no big difference. (the 6 separate piece one is slightly cheaper because the support mesh is not there)

I was wondering is the labor cost of having separate pieces added on after the purchase or included in the purchase?

Last edited: Dec 28, 2015
  2. MrNibbles
    MrNibbles Well-Known Member
    How you arrange the sprues is also important. While connecting the parts saves a buck or two for each extra individual part (depending on the process) adding the sprues adds both material costs and machine space costs. And machine space costs can be greater than material costs. Sometimes playing around with how the sprues connect to parts and how the parts are postioned will save you money. Sometimes it won't. And having the sprues requires cutting and possibly leaving marks.

But the price that is quoted by Shapeways after upload already factors in all these considerations. Nothing is added later except for shipping costs.

3. Ah I see, Thank you so much for making that clear for me :)