Home » Support » 3D Design » Audio to 3D
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Audio to 3D [message #16856] Fri, 27 August 2010 23:29 UTC Go to next message
avatar fracai  is currently offline fracai
Go to my shop
Any Matlab experts out there know of a method to read in a WAV file and output STL?

I could have fun with this.

http://www.everydaylistening.com/articles/2009/10/14/yesno-b y-carsten-nicolai.html
Re: Audio to 3D [message #16865 is a reply to message #16856 ] Sat, 28 August 2010 09:10 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Dotsan  is currently offline Dotsan
Go to my shop
Nice idea, it looks like a straight forward revolve of a screen capture.
V
www.dotsan.com

www.dotsan.com
Re: Audio to 3D [message #16867 is a reply to message #16856 ] Sat, 28 August 2010 10:00 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar virtox  is currently offline virtox
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
It is fun Smile I've been working on a few similar ideas.
(rhythm and waveform base models)
I don't use matlab but custom tools, but this looks like a lathe of the waveform.

If you need something done, I can take a look.

Cheers,

Stijn

- Artist / Engineer / Designer / Shopowner / Volunteer / Moderator -
Re: Audio to 3D [message #16870 is a reply to message #16865 ] Sat, 28 August 2010 10:26 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar jasolo  is currently offline jasolo
Go to my shop
I'm not a Matlab user, but googling I have found that Matlab has a function to read wavs: wavread(). Then you can make a surface of revolution from those data with cylinder() and use a plugin to export to STL.

Because a sound wave crosses the axis many times, you should apply an "absolute value" function to the data before making the revolution. Also a downsampling could be necessary to avoid the maximum number of triangles printable with Shapeways or because of the minimum detail of the selected material.
Re: Audio to 3D [message #16875 is a reply to message #16856 ] Sat, 28 August 2010 11:47 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar fracai  is currently offline fracai
Go to my shop
Yeah, I've seen wavread(), and I had the basic idea of rotating the resulting data to form a lumpy cylinder, but I didn't know about cylinder(). I'll take a look at that. Thanks.

I also had the idea of, instead of using the absolute value, rotating by 180 degrees and having a different top and bottom shape. Though in that case it might be necessary to split the wav into the positive and negative values.

Thanks for the tips, hopefully I can turn this into something.
Re: Audio to 3D [message #16876 is a reply to message #16875 ] Sat, 28 August 2010 11:53 UTC Go to previous message
avatar virtox  is currently offline virtox
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
You could also just add and offset:
For example: 6 cm + 5 cm * waveform.

- Artist / Engineer / Designer / Shopowner / Volunteer / Moderator -

Previous Topic:What does Hollowing mean?
Next Topic:Sizing the model correctly (AccuTrans3D)

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.