Printing a branding iron

Discussion in 'Design and Modeling' started by 1023427_deleted, Dec 15, 2015.

1. Hi all,
    I'm looking to have a branding iron made to burn a logo into wood. This is my first venture into the world of 3d printing and could do with a couple of pointers please.
    A friend is going to do the 3d model for me in blender, is there anything he needs to do to make it print ready other than doing the design?
    Could it be printed directly in something like brass(I believe this will be sufficient to brand with) or would it need to be printed then cast using a lost wax method?
    If anyone knows of any other consideration i have overlooked or a better material, any advice would be gratefully received.

Thanks in advance.
    Dave.

2. Bathsheba
    Bathsheba Well-Known Member
    I'd use steel. I agree that brass can get hot enough to burn wood, but if you're heating it with a propane or natural gas flame, that could be hot enough to melt it.

The steel that's produced here has some bronze content, but I bet it's still more heat-resistant than the brass.

3. kaadesign
    kaadesign Well-Known Member
    ... and:

DonĀ“t forget to make the Logo and/or letters mirrored onto Your branding iron...

4. Thanks for the info,
    The designer has asked, once hes done the model in blender does he need to do anything special to make it print ready or do i just supply the 3d model to a printer?

Thanks,
    Dave.