First full color test, pretty expensive 3.5 inch sphere (linked).

Discussion in 'My Work In Progress' started by Shea_Design, Dec 11, 2015.

1. Shea_Design
    Shea_Design Well-Known Member
    Just getting a handle on full color sandstone, file prep in particular. My crazy colored Fairy failed UV master unwrap, so I charged ahead with a sphere just to meet my goal of having some success with the format tonight.

$279 seems kinda high, but i guess the volume is pretty high. Thought maybe my units were jacked. Do we shell sandstone parts, guess I better revisit the materials description again. Hope to produce some affordable full color sculpts soon.

-Shea

2. stonysmith
    stonysmith Well-Known Member Moderator
    Your sphere is a solid ball. If you can make it hollow, the price will drop significantly... down to around $35 with 2mm thick walls.

Unfortunately, to make it hollow, you must also have a "drain hole", and that is going to mar the surface, especially since the required hole size is 25mm.

One choice would be to make it hollow and then slicing it in half.. making two hemispheres that you would glue back together.

3. Shea_Design
    Shea_Design Well-Known Member
    Hey that sounds like a challenge! $56.32 shelled to spec +/- .33mm. I guess the markup on Grumpy Cat is pretty low, and that additional volume reduction is substantial.

That's for your input!

-Shea