Now Through Sunday Night. Black Friday Deals & Free Shipping! See the deals.
Home » Support » Bug Reporting » Default Material
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Default Material [message #16660] Wed, 25 August 2010 16:21 UTC Go to next message
avatar clsn  is currently offline clsn
Go to my shop
It might be nice to be able to set a "Default" material for a model without necessarily making it unavailable in anything else. Sort of a suggestion for what material to use, even though other options are available. What do you think?
Re: Default Material [message #16662 is a reply to message #16660 ] Wed, 25 August 2010 16:49 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Drawn-SteelHero  is currently offline Drawn-SteelHero
Go to my shop
I like this idea. So you can, for instance, have a model geared to be printed in Detail material, and that's marked as the default price next to the description, but buyers can still get it in Strong Flexible if they want. Nice, and makes some sense.

Andy
Re: Default Material [message #16713 is a reply to message #16660 ] Thu, 26 August 2010 11:30 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar virtox  is currently offline virtox
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Ah, I'm not the only one Wink

I second this, would be very useful!

- Artist / Engineer / Designer / Shopowner / Volunteer / Moderator -
Re: Default Material [message #16837 is a reply to message #16713 ] Fri, 27 August 2010 17:09 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar huan80  is currently offline huan80
Go to my shop
I agree that this would be really nice.
Re: Default Material [message #17002 is a reply to message #16660 ] Tue, 31 August 2010 08:04 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar lukas.suess  is currently offline lukas.suess
Go to my shop
Yes I agree; good Idea.
It was on my list too, just did't bother to post it.

Specifically I have thought about following:
If you have a photo of a steel print as advertise picture and also allow printing W-S&F then the WS&F price will be viewed below the steel picture in the galleries. This could be interpreted as an intent to fool customers to look at the product detail page. (unfair marketing strategy).

At the moment this probably affects only models where one don't add a markup.
In other cases one wants to upload a second model anyway because there is no feature for material dependend markup yet. (a related feature request)
Re: Default Material [message #18362 is a reply to message #17002 ] Sun, 26 September 2010 11:43 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar woody64  is currently offline woody64
Go to my shop
I also would strongly encourage that. Additionally the price of the default material can be shown, what's normally also in the shop's owner interest.

Woody64

More then 8100 items sold over SW (but still a hobby)
Minifigcustomsin3d at: Facebook Flickr Twitter
References: 3d Printing Industries, CNN, J. Burks, Ugly Duckling, M.Evans, Stop Motion Film,Computer BILD, How to Become a 3D Printing Entrepreneur
More then 270 shop items (more then 146 already printed once) More the 500 successful Products (Items&material printed once)
Re: Default Material [message #19186 is a reply to message #18362 ] Fri, 15 October 2010 19:43 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar TerraCotta  is currently offline TerraCotta
Go to my shop
Add my vote to this idea for sure! I would love to be able to choose the default material but allow others, especially cheaper ones, without confusing the customer.
Re: Default Material [message #20149 is a reply to message #16660 ] Fri, 05 November 2010 19:50 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar HerndonDesign  is currently offline HerndonDesign
Go to my shop
Throw my vote in for default materials as well! To be honest, I'm kind of surprised that wasn't an option from the get go Smile
Re: Default Material [message #20560 is a reply to message #20149 ] Tue, 16 November 2010 09:35 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar bartv  is currently offline bartv
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
This feature is on our whishlist now, thanks!

Bart

Community Manager Europe | Shapeways
Re: Default Material [message #26354 is a reply to message #16660 ] Fri, 22 April 2011 08:01 UTC Go to previous message
avatar artfulshrapnel  is currently offline artfulshrapnel
Go to my shop
I support this one too. Particularly an issue with two new materials (Frosted Detail and Frosted Ultra Detail).

Ultra Detail costs almost double what regular Detail does, but always supercedes it as the "default" material if both are available. To make my pricing attractive, I'm being forced to not offer the Ultra option! (Perhaps for this particular issue, you might consider simply switching the two so the cheaper one gets priority? Just a thought.)

[Updated on: Fri, 22 April 2011 08:03 UTC]

Previous Topic:Shapeways Live Webcast countdown
Next Topic:Default Material for jewellery

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.