THANK YOU Shapeways! (re: Packing...)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by patmat2350, Nov 28, 2015.

1. patmat2350
    patmat2350 Well-Known Member
    I've long complained about how my fragile FUD parts were packed- usually stuffed into a too-small and rather stiff poly bag, frequently resulting in broken parts upon unpacking. It doesn't matter how much bubble wrap is pulled tightly around such a bag, the damage happens INSIDE the bubble wrap.

But happy days! My latest shipment came thoughtfully packed in a several softer/kinder/gentler bubble wrap envelopes, much easier on the parts than the previous poly zip bags.

Thank you thank you...

2. he6agon
    he6agon Well-Known Member
    I've seen the same thing with my recent orders. Parts are far less likely to arrive warped or broken when they are packed this way.

3. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    Glad to hear we're doing better for you guys!

4. 388789_deleted
    388789_deleted Well-Known Member
    And THANK YOU for all the feedback along the way. We can't get better without you.

Note that I didn't directly work on this in particular, but want to shout-out to those involved in this improvement :D

5. katkinkead
    katkinkead Well-Known Member
    So awesome to hear! Our FUD team is extremely dedicated to the quality of the parts they produce, and making sure they get where they need. I'm going to show this to them later so they know to keep it up :)

Also, post pics of what you made!

6. he6agon
    I printed these parts:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And made this:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It's been a good learning experience so far, from getting better at the design to improving the detail on the parts to learning how to clean them in order to preserve detail. I am happy with most of the parts I get from Shapeways now, but I look forward to the time when the technology is improved and even those little stepped print lines become a thing of the past. For now, though, it's a good time to be 3D printing models.

7. UniverseBecoming
    UniverseBecoming Well-Known Member
    Nice work!! Makes me almost want to make some train stuff.

Pete (Shapeways' CEO) said last year in a video that the model train industry netted over a billion dollars in Germany in the previous year. It's a big business, I just wonder how big it is for Shapeways and what categories of model trains sell well when it comes to 3D printing.

8. he6agon
    Thank you, James!

9. Big shout out to Shapeways, received my reprinted 75 ton LowBoy today and it made the trip intact !! each part was in it's own zip lock bag and then in the middle bubble wrap, So great to deal with a company that stands behind the product and the designer in this case Baldylox.

I plan on do a building thread and plan on ordering more items from Baldylox and Shapeways !!

Larry