Home » Support » 3D Applications » Blender: boolean union losing faces
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Blender: boolean union losing faces [message #15993] Thu, 12 August 2010 23:24 UTC Go to next message
avatar dskloet  is currently offline dskloet
Go to all my models
Hi,

I'm still trying to understand the basic operations in blender.
I have two overlapping, triangulated, manifold meshes both with normals facing outward. But when I take their boolean union and delete the originals, one of the objects in the union has lost a bunch of faces on the backside making it non-manifold.

Any idea why this might be happening?

thanks in advance,
David
Re: Blender: boolean union losing faces [message #16006 is a reply to message #15993 ] Fri, 13 August 2010 06:30 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar bartv  is currently offline bartv
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Blender's Boolean operator isn't too good (at least it wasn't in 2.49 - I haven't tried in 2.50 yet). At the very least, make sure both input models are manifold, and avoid coincident vertices and faces. Your mileage may vary though - Blender usually crashes when I try to use its Booleans..

Bart

Community Manager Europe | Shapeways
Re: Blender: boolean union losing faces [message #16115 is a reply to message #16006 ] Sun, 15 August 2010 17:40 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar dskloet  is currently offline dskloet
Go to all my models
I thought my manifolds weren't allowed to overlap so I wanted to take their boolean union. But I found out that I can just upload my model without joining my manifolds. Thanks.
Re: Blender: boolean union losing faces [message #16127 is a reply to message #16115 ] Sun, 15 August 2010 20:01 UTC Go to previous message
avatar jasolo  is currently offline jasolo
Go to my shop
I discovered that reducing the number of faces in the mesh also reduces the time of the boolean operation and so the probability of crashing (at least with version 2.49).

That reduction can be done without changing our model. The solution is to "separate" in each mesh the faces belonging to the union/intersection area, and to make the boolean operation on those separated meshes. Finally, you can join those faces to the original meshes and do a "remove duplicated vertices".

Previous Topic:Blender problem
Next Topic:Zedit Question

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.