Now Through Sunday Night. Black Friday Deals & Free Shipping! See the deals.
Home » Community » Post Production Techniques » Dyed WSF and Detail
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Dyed WSF and Detail [message #15698] Thu, 05 August 2010 20:18 UTC Go to next message
avatar euphy  is currently offline euphy
Go to my shop
Hello folks, got a couple of pieces through today and tried some crimson acid dye on them.

The first piece is WSF:

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4095/4864181156_2a22a9fc0c.jpg

This piece is a mixture of sections of different thicknesses. As you can see, the band itself is a little paler than the loops, and the band is the most solid part. The loops have a lot more surface area, and they are darker. Interestingly, it looks to me that it's really only the rough surface that is dyed to any great extent - I had trimmed an area on the ring band with a knife before dying, and that has hardly taken the colour at all. I think this looks like an icepop.

The second piece is transparent detail:
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4140/4863567849_dc067cf81a.jpg

And this looks really nice, very quickly took a pretty deep colour that's a lot nicer than the standard orthopaedic yellow that transparent detail comes in. I'm unconvinced about how hard-wearing it'll be though since it looks like it's just on the surface too. The face shown in the picture is one that I lightly sanded down before dying, and the dye hasn't taken on it evenly like on the unsanded faces. And it's a little bit patchy on the corners.

... giveth and taketh away.

Sandy Noble

[Updated on: Thu, 05 August 2010 20:22 UTC]

Re: Dyed WSF and Detail [message #15700 is a reply to message #15698 ] Thu, 05 August 2010 21:17 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Drawn-SteelHero  is currently offline Drawn-SteelHero
Go to my shop
Very interesting stuff. Out of curiosity, how deeply does it look like the dye has saturated? I wondered if it might work better to do any sanding after it's been dyed.

Andy
Re: Dyed WSF and Detail [message #15701 is a reply to message #15700 ] Thu, 05 August 2010 22:05 UTC Go to previous message
avatar euphy  is currently offline euphy
Go to my shop
I'm pretty sure it's literally only on the surface. Polishing the angular transparent detail part with a bit of paper quite quickly wears it off. The WSF is a bit more durable, and I've got to move up to sandpaper to take the colour off it. Underneath it's still slightly tinted, but no deep colour.

I used Jacquard Acid Dye, boiled for ten minutes. It does look really good, but I don't think it'll stand up to much rough stuff, and the the detail material isn't up to scratch at all. I might try the same on some white detail material in the future.

SN

Previous Topic:SWF shiny finish and painting
Next Topic:Detail support material

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.