Tap and die Threads M6, M4

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Michael_Teiniker, Nov 19, 2015.

1. Michael_Teiniker
    Michael_Teiniker Well-Known Member
    I have been working on a model for a client in Germany. Currently he has it printed out of stainless. The thread sections are oversized so he can manually use a tap and die to make the threads. However, he wants me to include the threads in the design, then have the models printed and then just touch up the threads with the tap and die.
    Would this be an option, for shapeways to print the M6 and M4 in stainless?
    The other question... Are there stl files available for these threads, so I can just add them to the model. I don't want to design them.
    Any help is appreciated.. Thanks in advance..

2. Celtic3d
    Celtic3d Active Member
    Blender has a bundled add-on that creates a threaded bolt or nut direct from the add mesh menu.

It might be worth installing Blender just to create your threaded mesh and exporting them in a format your regular software could import. Then combine with your existing model.

From a clean new Blender install:
    Enable the add-on: File -> User Preferences -> Add Ons Then search for Bolt Factory and check the check box to enable.

Add a mesh: <Shift+A> -> Mesh -> Bolt

The options on the left Tool menu are only available on initial creation, in the Add Bolt section, choose M6 or M4 presets.

You will need to take note of the scale, for exporting STL files, I usually work with 1 default "Blender" unit = 1 mm. So I would need to scale the model x100 to match this. With the item selected <S> <100>.

Or, since I was doing it anyway to get the instructions for you straight - here they are attached.

Note: There is zero tolerance. The M4s are exactly 4mm Major diameter. Which is probably OK given that they will be cleaned up with a tap and die.

I would recommend testing this with a low value model before committing yourself to an expensive print.

Attached Files:

3. kaadesign
    kaadesign Well-Known Member
  4. Michael_Teiniker
    Michael_Teiniker Well-Known Member
    Thank you guys.. funny, I am using belender for a year now and only learnt today that there are bolts. lol. That's porbably because I haven't needed them so far.
    But thanks anyway.
    Grabcad is also a great source..

5. UniverseBecoming
    UniverseBecoming Well-Known Member
    GrabCAD is a good source but the library is composed mostly of solid models, which will not load into blender. What you can do though is get a free solid modeling app and import in IGS or STP and export as STL.

For STL files there is a STL search engine available that does a pretty good job, it searches for all the STL files on GrabCAD too. It doesn't search the Trimble Warehouse though since there are no STL files there, so you would need to look there separately for Sketchup files.

By the way, speaking of solid modeling software, you can make threads of any type very easily with DesignSpark Mechanical. It's the worlds easiest to use solid modeling software out there.