Home » Support » 3D Design » Objects not exported to STL
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Objects not exported to STL [message #15284] Mon, 26 July 2010 16:06 UTC Go to next message
avatar bobbob12  is currently offline bobbob12
Go to all my models
I am using 3DMAX to generate my model
index.php?t=getfile&id=4300&private=0
The model combined of only basic shapes as boxes and tubes.
When exported, only about 4 boxes are exported and the rest of the objects just disappear like shown at .
index.php?t=getfile&id=4301&private=0

I tried to combine the objects, turn into mesh, attach, scale
but nothing seems to be working

Please et me know if you have seen anything like this before

Thanks

Udi

• Attachment: six.jpg
    (Size: 13.59KB, Downloaded 312 time(s))

• Attachment: six_shapeways.jpg
    (Size: 11.13KB, Downloaded 312 time(s))

Re: Objects not exported to STL [message #15285 is a reply to message #15284 ] Mon, 26 July 2010 16:43 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
Have you opened in Meshlab? Inverted normals in files will cause transparency in Shapeways render. So they could be there, just inverted.

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate
Re: Objects not exported to STL [message #15311 is a reply to message #15285 ] Tue, 27 July 2010 04:08 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Sorry, I am not familiar with Meshlab, can you let me know how can I get it?
Re: Objects not exported to STL [message #15318 is a reply to message #15311 ] Tue, 27 July 2010 09:17 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar virtox  is currently offline virtox
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
http://www.google.nl/search?q=meshlab

#1: http://meshlab.sourceforge.net/

It's really handy and free Smile

- Artist / Engineer / Designer / Shopowner / Volunteer / Moderator -
Re: Objects not exported to STL [message #15727 is a reply to message #15318 ] Fri, 06 August 2010 09:23 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
I tried Meshlabs and try to fix it in 3DMAX but still once imported to Shaeways the objects disappear.
This model is built from the very basic shapes and with no boolean operation or anything like that, So I cannot figure out what is the problem.

When imported to Meshlab, the STL looks OK

Is there someone in the team I can send the STL file to to check it?
Re: Objects not exported to STL [message #15738 is a reply to message #15284 ] Fri, 06 August 2010 13:03 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
You can send it to me, youknowwho4eva@gmail.com, or just upload it here if it's not a secrete model.

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
Re: Objects not exported to STL [message #15792 is a reply to message #15738 ] Sat, 07 August 2010 15:28 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Thanks,
I am attaching STL format and MAX format (V. 2009)

Re: Objects not exported to STL [message #15822 is a reply to message #15284 ] Mon, 09 August 2010 12:58 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
I'm not familiar with Max and how it works, but I can tell you there are issues in the STL. See the Image where there are many multiple faces overlapping. I'm seeing this in every intersection.

Re: Objects not exported to STL [message #15831 is a reply to message #15284 ] Mon, 09 August 2010 14:39 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
Alright, I think I got it to what you wanted. Upload this and see if that comes out better. When you built in max, did you build it as solids? did you boolean union the solids? That would be my guess as to why it came out the way it did. Because the solids weren't joined before export.

Re: Objects not exported to STL [message #15836 is a reply to message #15831 ] Mon, 09 August 2010 16:12 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Indeed it works.
Thanks
I would appreciate if you could tell me what went wrong, as I am now trying to upload another model, and again it wouldn't load.
I am using simple solids, no boolean, just place one solid next to the other.
The new model is even more simple as it use only one type of solid.
The only thing I can think about that might cause the problem is the way I duplicate the solids, but I think the STL doesn't care about it.
Re: Objects not exported to STL [message #15837 is a reply to message #15831 ] Mon, 09 August 2010 16:34 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
One more thing is that the measures are wrong
the height seems to be larger than the width or depth, which is in fact wrong'
http://www.shapeways.com/model/144082/candle_wires.html
Re: Objects not exported to STL [message #15839 is a reply to message #15284 ] Mon, 09 August 2010 17:04 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
That is weird, by my measurements it should be longer than tall.
Anyways, with your model, it appears when you exported, you had the solids overlapped. Instead of leaving them just overlapped, and letting shapeways try to automatically join them, Boolean Join them before exporting. When I exported, the piece is all one solid. That's why if you look at the stl, there are no overlapping faces. That was the only problem I saw with your model.

Re: Objects not exported to STL [message #15881 is a reply to message #15839 ] Tue, 10 August 2010 16:09 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
I would like to try and print this model, but the Shapeways calculator calculate 34.71 cm³ while my 3DMAX finds 21.16 cm³
As I understand the pricing policy, it is based upon the actual volume used in the model
Re: Objects not exported to STL [message #15882 is a reply to message #15284 ] Tue, 10 August 2010 16:57 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
Did you check the dimensions of mine? STL doesn't carry unit type. What ever units you used, I imported and exported back out. So check to see if it's still the size you want.

Re: Objects not exported to STL [message #15896 is a reply to message #15882 ] Wed, 11 August 2010 02:43 UTC Go to previous message
Go to all my models
The about size is the same, just the dimensions are mixed.
But this is the boundries size, when calculating the volume, i think there is some mistake in calculation, as I am checking the model in 3DMAX and it shows ~20cm³ while in Shapeways I get 34 cm³

Previous Topic:Blender question: is there a function for finding unconnected meshes?
Next Topic:Help with blender model

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.