Our Gift to You: 20% off your own designs in Strong & Flexible Plastic through Dec 23, with promo code MY2014 · details
Home » Community » Post Production Techniques » Detail support material
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Detail support material [message #15191] Sat, 24 July 2010 22:43 UTC Go to next message
avatar euphy  is currently offline euphy
Go to my shop
I'm curious about the transparent detail material - I understand there's a support material used for overhangs... If this is is trapped in a hollow form, what does it look like?

I'm thinking of making a block with a negative shape as a hollow inside it, but with no hole to let the support material out. Will the shape of the form be visible inside? I also wondered about drilling a tiny hole into the cavity and injecting some dye or some dyed resin.

Any ideas anyone?

Cheers!!
Sandy Noble
Re: Detail support material [message #15901 is a reply to message #15191 ] Wed, 11 August 2010 06:15 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Tommy_2Tall  is currently offline Tommy_2Tall
Go to my shop

Hi!

It has a yellow tint and is clearly visible if you leave it inside a transparent detail part.

I still have loads of it trapped inside one of my ringpendant designs (hollow torus/donut with escapeholes) and actually adds a nice color to the center of the donut.

I don't have any good pictures of that particular part though... planning do build a cardboard "lightbox" sometime soon to get decent pictures of all my precious Shapeways orders so I might update this thread then.

I also recall a "dragon quartz" model made by er1c that used that technicque to do a "Jurassic Park"-style dragon in a crystal:
http://www.shapeways.com/forum/index.php?t=msg&goto=5413 &S=c31f533b6f44acc0eaa13a36175022bd#msg_5413

Cheers!
Re: Detail support material [message #15906 is a reply to message #15901 ] Wed, 11 August 2010 07:43 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar arno  is currently offline arno
Go to all my models
Hi,

please note that recently we changed our model upload so it now solves overlapping 'shells', making volume calculation better. See this blog.

As a drawback of that, your model will (should Rolling Eyes ) become solid when there are no holes.

Kind regards, Arno
Re: Detail support material [message #15990 is a reply to message #15901 ] Thu, 12 August 2010 19:49 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Thanks for your reply Tommy, and for the link. That's quite similar to what I was hoping to do (in theory) - something indistinct.

Arno, I wonder if I made a block with a hollow space in it, but the hole was too small to let the support material out properly, what might happen then? Is it "allowed" to do something like that?

Ta folks,

Sandy Noble
Re: Detail support material [message #15991 is a reply to message #15990 ] Thu, 12 August 2010 21:01 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar pp  is currently offline pp
Go to all my models
HI Sandy,
It probably will work however what might happen is the following.

The support material tents to expand over time because it takes up water.
In time that might mean the tension will become to much so the model will break.

It's all depending on the thickness of the wall.

So how is that for a new design restriction... sorry, challenge?

Hope this helps a bit...

Peter Paul
Re: Detail support material [message #15992 is a reply to message #15991 ] Thu, 12 August 2010 22:29 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Ha ha, thanks Peter, that's a good design "maybe"! I might try some trials and see what happens. I was thinking about injecting something coloured into the space, and it would soak up through the support material. Would a kind of capilliary action saturate the whole lot of the support material?

Cheers guys
SN
Re: Detail support material [message #16052 is a reply to message #15992 ] Fri, 13 August 2010 22:52 UTC Go to previous message
avatar Whystler  is currently offline Whystler
Go to my shop
I have experimented a bit with this material and it's support schtuff. The support material is waxy or maybe like a solidified gel? And it flakes apart. It's not durable like the build material.

I found two things about the supoprt material when it is trapped inside of a detail-material model:

1. There is no obvious visual separation between the support material and the transparent build material. So if you were to have a cavity inside of a transparent detail model that was filled with the support material, it would be difficult to make out the shape.

2. The support material is not super solid. It has some give. So if you make a model with a thin skin of build material and fill it with the support material, it will crack like an egg. The model will be more stable if it has a thin skin but with no support material. However, you will have to be sure that the technicians don't crack your thin skin while removing the support material.

Also, I should point out that the black detail material's support schtuff appears to be the same as the other detail materials *except* it is also black.

Hope this helps Smile

-Whystler

-Whystler

[Updated on: Fri, 13 August 2010 22:58 UTC]

Check out my website: http://tshawnjohnson.wordpress.com/

Previous Topic:Dyed WSF and Detail
Next Topic:Muriatic Acid and Stainless Steel

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.