My first 3d print of a character from my video game Vox arrived today!

Discussion in 'My Shapeways Order Arrived' started by AlwaysGeeky, Oct 15, 2015.

1. AlwaysGeeky
    AlwaysGeeky Member
    Hi!

I just received my first 3d printed model from shapeways and I am VERY impressed, I wasn't expecting the print quality to be anywhere near this good and I am thoroughly pleased!

Printed in White Strong & Flexible plastic with the default finish.

https://www.shapeways.com/product/LZQ7TF9W9/vox-mage

Photos:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is a Mage character from my very own video game Vox... it is a voxel rpg adventure game where the player can customize everything in the game, from characters, items, weapons to monsters, scenery and whole worlds.

My plan is to have a whole selection of different character models to print and also some different items and monsters that are iconic to the game, for example the Mimic monster: https://www.shapeways.com/product/WG7GXPCSN/vox-mimic?li=mor e-from-shop&optionId=57980123&rc=MoreFromDesigner

Also I plan to allow players to create their own characters and export them from the game and then 3d print their own characters... I already have the model exporters in my game and allow the player to pose and set their character however they like for export.

Cheers.
    AlwaysGeeky

2. Andrewsimonthomas
    Andrewsimonthomas Well-Known Member
    Very cool, and nice paint job.

That said, any reason why you choose WSF to paint it rather than printing with color in FCS? I guess the staff may be a challenge in FCS but other than that it could be easier to get the completed product to your customers.

Best,
    Andrew

3. AlwaysGeeky
    AlwaysGeeky Member
    Thanks!

No major reason for why I chose plastic first... I wanted to test out the plastic quality first and see what it looked like after I painted it and how easy/good it would be to paint on the plastic.

I am planning to also print a color sandstone version for myself too, this way I can also compare the look and quality of both side by side.
    The preferred method for anyone else printing any of the models will probably be color sandstone, since most people probably wont want to paint their own models.

I'm just getting started in 3d printing so doing a lot of experimentation at this stage, and exploring the different options.

4. ProjectMobius
    ProjectMobius Well-Known Member
    Very nice! Love the fact that you already thought of custom 3d models for your players. Why not try polished WSF next time? :) I also wish I could create a game/software that would allow people to customize their own space ships (what I make) and 3D print them.

Just curious, I looked up the game on google and there's a game called Vox on Steam is that the one?

5. AlwaysGeeky
    AlwaysGeeky Member
    Thanks! Yes that is the game, although the Steam version is very outdated now, I have been working on an updated codebase for a long while now and need to push a new updated Vox version of the game to Steam.

In the meantime you can also checkout the opensource development that I am doing also: http://www.github.com/alwaysgeeky/vox.

I really like the idea of allowing players to be able to create their own stuff in the game and then have a really easy and intuative way for them to print the custom models, using custom weapons, or poses... I think this is a very good feature for a game that fosters heavy player customization and creation.

I hope you can work something out for your spaceships and other creations, your city concepts look pretty awesome!

6. ProjectMobius
    ProjectMobius Well-Known Member
    Thanks! I would love to but I have way too much down the pipeline haha