Home »  » Post Production Techniques » Removing Printing Powder from WSF
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Removing Printing Powder from WSF [message #14747] Wed, 14 July 2010 20:57 UTC Go to next message
avatar Schmiegel  is currently offline Schmiegel
Go to my shop
Ahoi,

I had an object printed that is quite like a morel - inside it's hollow and the morel holes connecting to the outside are about down to 1 mm.
(it's this one: http://www.shapeways.com/model/133975/yagcoupon2____.html)

So the Shapeways Airgun cannot blow out all the powder. I had some fun with the following experimentum:

-Pouring some loose powder in a glass of water: it swims up and makes clusters - no way to simply wash it out!
-Adding some detergent: it fairly seems to "dissolve" in water.

So I did some picking, poking, drenching, and shaking and it seems I got rid of quite a lot of the powder - just one hr fun or so Wink

For the rest I found a place to use an enforced pressure water jet that did the preliminary finish.

Although this fairly works I'd be curious if somebody else found a way to comfortably and efficiently get rid of "stuck" powder.

Thanks!

Edited to remove typos

[Updated on: Wed, 14 July 2010 21:46 UTC]

Re: Removing Printing Powder from WSF [message #14748 is a reply to message #14747 ] Wed, 14 July 2010 21:08 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar TomZ  is currently offline TomZ
Go to my shop
I once used a tooth cleaning water jet to get rid of some stubborn powder.

As a side note, I use boiling soapy water to get rid of powder that isn't actually trapped but does still need removal (usually, the objects are still quite powdery when I receive them).
Re: Removing Printing Powder from WSF [message #15209 is a reply to message #14748 ] Sun, 25 July 2010 20:48 UTC Go to previous message
avatar Schmiegel  is currently offline Schmiegel
Go to my shop
Thank you TomZ,

tried that too but it all did leave the powder in place where it was stuck somewhat hidden.

The finally best result for the object in question I achieved with some patience and a semi direct wood based rod average distance bendable multiple acting fur device - aka paintbrush, poking, and twisting. With the brush I also was able to remove the powder from areas that weren't reachable directly (but close to that).

So this is no help if the powder in deep inside a structure, but for all areas close to where you can see, I would recommend a (small) brush.

Well, not really HiTec and maybe a reader's first thought - just wanted to share anyway as sometimes the simple things don't come to mind in time ...

[Updated on: Sun, 25 July 2010 20:51 UTC]

Previous Topic:Tea Dying
Next Topic:Turning the steel black

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.