Dinocyst earrings

Discussion in 'My Shapeways Order Arrived' started by Ontogenie, Sep 19, 2015.

1. Ontogenie
    Ontogenie Well-Known Member
    Not just a dinocyst, but a 'Neogene organic-walled dinoflagellate cyst microfossil.' I get some strange requests (this from the mother of a soon-to-be-finishing Ph.D. student), but it's SO MUCH FUN! cymatiosphaera 1.jpg cymatiosphaera 2.jpg
    Moderator:displaying images

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2015
  2. mygadgetlife
    mygadgetlife Well-Known Member
    I don't know what these are :) but they look great!

I like the way the polish of the outer edges contrast with the more 'natural' 3D printed texture, very cool.

Steven

3. Ontogenie
    Thanks Steven! I'm not really sure what they are either, to be perfectly honest. Hahaha! But they did turn out lovely. There's something special that happens when a model has recessed parts that the polishing balls can't reach.

4. andrewsmodels
    andrewsmodels Well-Known Member
    they look very nice , congrats , I also want to try some organic modeling for jewels based on fractals and parametric techniques ( to such end i have started to put together a pinterest board to get inspired :) https://www.pinterest.com/andreidan3d/fractals-and-parametri c/ ) and just wanted to ask you what software are you using to model?

5. Ontogenie
    Thanks Andrew! I do all of my modeling in Blender. Good luck with your fractal & parametric modeling...I'm interested to see your work.