Change the "Not available in:" form

Discussion in 'Shapeways Shops' started by 28396_deleted, Jul 8, 2010.

1. 28396_deleted
    28396_deleted Member
    Hi

I don't know if any one mentioned it before..

When filling up my shop with new models the task gets real tedious and annoying - surly Arno can replace the "Not available in:" ADD button with a V box near each material so a shop owner can select what material does or doesnt suit his model and then click on the ADD button once...

Instead we currently need to add each material one by one... and wait for shapeways server to respond...

I'm sure this is a simple task to fix.

Thanks,
    Dizingof

2. virtox
    virtox Active Member Moderator
    I completely agree !

The current system is worse than the previous.
    I would also prefer a checkbox solution.

My current working system if I want to restrict a material to S&F :
    Repeatedly keep clicking the add button, until all is not available and then remove the s&f from the list using the trashcan buttons.

This is by far the fastest way.
    (Otherwise,I would have to keep changing the drop down menu to prevent the S&F from being excluded)

It is a very tedious task :rolleyes:

Cheers,

Stijn

3. Jettuh
    Jettuh Well-Known Member
    I second that!

4. stannum
    stannum Well-Known Member
    A collection of check buttons would be fast: click all you need and then save. It would use a lot of space, but the server lag and multiple clicks is pretty inneficient compared to using space for things that mater. Nice tradeoff.

The item page needs a deep review anyway, it puts all in a tiny column, wasting more than 2/3 with a mostly empty left side. Someone suggested view pages and edit pages for items and shops should be separate, fixing material control is just one small part of that.

5. 31665_deleted
    31665_deleted Member
    +1 from me too, it would be an enormous improvement in that interface's usability (more considering that shapeways is adding more and more cool materials every now and then)

6. bartv
    bartv Member
    Sounds good. I've forwarded your suggestion to our web team.

Bart

7. coines23
    coines23 Well-Known Member
    Something I'd like to see is the ability to select more than one model and batch-restrict them. For example, none of the models in my shop were designed with sandstone's limitations in mind, so I'd like to select the whole bunch (check boxes would work for this) and turn off sandstone and full-color sandstone all at once.

8. gibell
    gibell Well-Known Member
    The update this week addresses this to some extent. Now if you select "Add all materials", the list of not available materials is completely filled out. Then you click on the trash can for each material you want.

This is not perfect but is about 5 times faster than the old method. It works really well if your model is only available in very few materials.

I can't imagine why one would want to have a model available in one color of WS&F, but not in another. For me it is just annoying to have to chase down all the colors.