Is it just me?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MorningStarz, Aug 14, 2015.

1. MorningStarz
    MorningStarz Member
    Is it just me or does this website get less traffic and shoppers than it makes its self look?
    I feel like all those adds you see on YouTube and on websites talking about 3D printing and stuff are just something that is completely (for lack of a better word) "Over-Hyped."

2. mkroeker
    mkroeker Well-Known Member
    What is your metric for this - Google Analytics on your shop page, lower than expected sales or just general bad mood ? (Though I'd tend to agree that 3d printing is overhyped and a large fraction of the population does not know or care about it. But then you do not see everybody buying raspberry pi or similar either, or every toddler and granny flying a drone in their backyard)

Last edited: Aug 14, 2015
  3. panguver
    panguver Well-Known Member
    I read now about hundreds of thousands of printed products per month from CEO and then see some tens photos of the printed products in SW Twitter and I start thinking that it is some illegal or secretive plant. SW could publish more prints that have printed.

4. MitchellJetten
    MitchellJetten Shapeways Employee CS Team
    Not everything that is being printed is public ;) lot's of stuff is printed for own use by people that haven't opened a shop.

5. panguver
    I know about it very well, but how many percents of main sales constitute a public sales? 0,000...% ? It's strange... because many designers on forum write about null or very little sales. CEO wrote about 200$ of designer's revenue in average, but where proof photos?

6. mkroeker
    Probably a log-normal distribution with a few well-established sculptors and designers who "happen to use 3d printing for some of their work" at the top of the curve, folks who make just enough to fund most of their own monthly prototyping in the middle and a very long tail down to amateurs and newcomers who sell the odd piece with $5 markup every few months...

7. MitchellJetten
    MitchellJetten Shapeways Employee CS Team
    I'm not allowed to share those numbers Panguver :)

Though I have seen shopowners with a lot more markup than $200 :)
    Note that we have a lot of shops, some of them don't sell anything, if those are included in that average of $200, it will look a lot lower.

As for my personal shop, my markup is around $300 a month!
    It used to be around $600,, but that's when i kept making new stuff every month (i should definitely start making things again)

8. panguver
  9. mkroeker
    Cold November rains will come soon enough...

10. MorningStarz
    MorningStarz Member
    Well, thanks for all the information, I can see how this site is starting to work now...... let me get this straight.... Make a majority of the products on the site I would say your products don't even have to have time taken on them, just as long as you get a huge majority of products on your shop, more likely chance someone will see it and someone will buy it, (Sadly as an artist, I would have to say that is.... the exact opposite point Van Gogh was trying to state when he cut off his ear...)

it also doesn't help that I have seen the same products on the main page for like the past... two/three weeks!?
    Normally I wouldn't have joined this site if I wasn't desperately trying to take some extra cash... even when I saw the adds I felt un-interested, but some people on the blender Forums suggested this place, so I figured I'd join... so far, nothing promising.

11. mkroeker
    Certainly not a "get rich quick" scheme here (not even for shapeways probably), just another convenient place to offer your creations from. "Historically" I believe the "shops" are an afterthought, providing customers a means to sell models to others that they originally designed for themselves.
    (And getting models featured on the frontpage or elsewhere does appear to be difficult, if only because they lack staff time to select new ones from the pool of thousands. What you can do is post photographs of your designs, and perhaps a short story of their origins, in the "Feature this" subforum to highlight them for inclusion in shapeways' product tweets etc. Just don't be the n'th guy with a moebius strip or a pyramid-shaped earring, and the more your design is possible only with 3d printing as opposed to conventional stamping,casting or soldering the better - says this non-jeweller, non-designer at least)

Last edited: Aug 15, 2015
  12. wozwasntere
    wozwasntere Well-Known Member
    I seem to get most of my customers from forums (RC Tanks) and facebook groups. Most of the things I sell are pretty cheap with a $2 - $5 mark up with the occasional expensive parts with $5 - $10 mark ups.

My sales are increasing as I put more models up. So far this moth I've made $189 with another $80's being printed. (Payday tomorrow :) )

I have my own (FDM) printer and at first I just put up models I'd printed for myself or friends off forums (altered slightly to make them shapways friendly). Now I'm doing more commission work as I get a lot of request for various parts in different scales.

It's not a way to make a living but it helps pay for my hobby and hopefully an SLA printer.

13. MrNibbles
    MrNibbles Well-Known Member
    Shapeways is probably not as lucrative as joining Amway or becoming a politician. ;) Ignoring design considerations and uniqueness, it's still important to get your designs visibility on the web if you want a chance of getting serious sales, not to mention adding good discovery tags so visitors here may find something that they are looking for. Good photos, good descriptions, etc. are all important. On the other hand millions of models have been uploaded already, not all of which are public or for sale, but as time goes on a customer may not ever see your product even if it fits their needs and desires perfectly simply because of numbers.

Having given that advice I don't follow it myself. My photos and tags are a wreck and I don't do social media to speak of for advertisement purposes. But I never designed anything to make a lot of bucks. From my perspective making mechanical parts for personal projects and cool presents for friends and family is good enough, although I offer some for sale with low, low markups just in case someone else might like them or find them useful. And the new personalization features will be great for personalized gifts as well!

14. dcyale
    dcyale Well-Known Member
    For me Shapeways is a hobby. I have a regular job, and sometimes I don't spend an hour a month on design, other months I do spend time. The great thing about Shapeways is that all my old designs are up there and some have a fairly consistent sales history. Of course markups are very modest.

It's far from an income, nor will it pay for my kid's college education (scholarships PLEASE!), but it's nice to get a little reward doing something I enjoy.

Dave Yale

15. Bathsheba
    Bathsheba Well-Known Member
    mkroeker
    Yeah. The low-hanging fruit is gone: unless you bring a really special angle to the medium, for anything that you think of quickly or easily, chances are that niche is already filled. Search first and save yourself the heartache. (I know it hurts, but it'll hurt a lot more if you invest first and search later.)

And 3D printing is not (yet, if you like) competitive with traditional manufacturing on price or quality. So if your design doesn't use the particular design capabilities where 3DP is strong, it will not win against conventionally manufactured competition.

My shop does OK: it's making more this year than last, and since I haven't added any significant amount of stuff, I imagine that reflects increased general traffic and sales. From the amount of transactions I see, I believe there's a substantial customer base here.

But I doubt very much that the modal shop here makes $200 a month -- I too think that a few breakout stores are keeping that average up, and that it is not a reasonable expectation for a casual user.

16. MrNibbles
    MrNibbles Well-Known Member

Too bad the color plastic process is a flop. My mobius in Illini colors is mah-velous.

HP, you're my only hope!

[​IMG]

17. panguver
    If I want make something for me - why I will need in SW? I will produce it in my town, nearest town, in my country. It's easy, cheapest, fastest way. If shop on SW "are an afterthought", why someone in the world will needs in SW service?

If MitchellJetten have ~200$ per month from his shop https://www.shapeways.com/designer/mitchelljetten it's really cool! But if he make money on jobs in 3Dprinting via SW, he can do it also without SW because he can produce their things anywhere. Some people, who lives nearest SW will make orders here, but it will local business only.

If designer cannot make money on sales from his shop here - he leaves this place. Done!

18. UniverseBecoming
    UniverseBecoming Well-Known Member
    If you want to make money with Shapeways DON'T BE A JEWELER! HAHA! :D If you're lucky and you find some niche jewelry items that people buy and you can get lucky numerous times for various designs you could easily make a living at it. Otherwise you're going to make Jack Diddley. :) You can however make money with jewelry designs if you are extremely extremely talented. On very rare occasions I run into jewelry designers on Etsy that I would consider to have this level of talent. They always appear in the trending sections of Etsy and you can tell by looking at the sales in their shops that they are doing very well.

One area though that sells very well and you don't need to find niche items is miniatures. There are so many hobbyists in the world that have this subject as a hobby that just about anything you make in miniature form will sell. Some of the top-selling shops on Shapeways are selling miniatures. Another area that is pretty good is anything having to do with games. Things like dice, boardgame components, Lego items, poseable dolls and so on. I think probably (no way to tell for sure because it is a secret ) the number one selling item on Shapeways is the Thorn Dice Set sold by Ceramicwombat, which is a game related item. Then there are the collectors. A perfect example of this category would be accessories for Transformers figurines.

You can make money with Shapeways but you need to be superduper smart when it comes to deciding what you're going to spend your time on. I know that there are a few shops whose owners are making a living from Shapeways.

I think you're right though in your assumption concerning traffic within Shapeways shops as compared to the number of stated items being printed every month. I think most of Shapeways customers are people that are using Shapeways 3D printing service for doing rapid prototyping. This is because Shapeways has the lowest price in the world when it comes to 3D printed items so people from all over the world flock to Shapeways to get there prototypes made and those people never visit the Shapeways shops. Over the years I have seen Shapeways make business moves that proves that their main income is not coming from the shops at all, rather it is coming from these rapid prototyping customers. I am getting proven traffic to my shop though, probably the best place in the world right now to sell items online that is compatible with 3D printing would be Etsy. Etsy is HUGE! When I compare the sales that I get from my jewelry items on Etsy and Shapeways the sales are roughly the same. So that right there tells me that Shapeways is getting just as much traffic to my Shapeways shop as Etsy is getting for my Etsy shop. So in this regard Shapeways is very up to par as far as traffic is concerned for my Shapeways Universe Becoming shop.

Oh, and one other point about traffic concerning Shapeways. I have a number of the same jewelry items in five different Shapeways clone companies around the world. I get zero sales from all five of these other shops, so that too would be an indication that Shapeways is doing well when it comes to getting traffic for my Shapeways Universe Becoming shop. If you would like to see actual numbers here is a screen cap of my Google Analytics data for traffic that I've had in my Shapeways Universe Becoming shop year to date.

Traffic.png

Don't give up! There's plenty of money out there to be had via Shapeways, you just need to be extra clever in order to get it. :)

19. panguver
    I closed my shop on ETSY because it's unprofitable. Why? My business process for sales 3Dprinted things was:

1. I must make model.
    2. I must place it in any applicable shop/service like SW.
    3. I must lose a lot of time for promoting ETSY shop via (as example) treasures and forums there.
    4. I must promote my designs in social networks.
    5. I must pay for each listing on ETSY.
    6. I must lose money on wire transfer from my ETSY customer to me.
    7. I must make order of sold item on 3Dprinting service (SW missed - no drop-shipping yet).
    8. I must lose money on transfer from me to 3Dprinting service.
    9. I need inform my ETSY customer about tracking number and similar progress info about his order.
    10. I need to support communication with my ETSY customers.
    11. I need make changes if model has been rejected by 3Dprinting service.
    12. I need 24x365 easy access to 3Dprinting service for process (without bans as I have right now) https://www.shapeways.com/forum/index.php?t=msg&th=28681 &start=0&
    loginError2.png
    13. I need to stay live and have my supper sometimes...

20. MorningStarz
    MorningStarz Member
    Isn't making miniatures of certain characters from games and movies and selling them; Copyright Infringement?