Home » Shapeways » Official Announcements » Shapeways site update of July 1st 2010
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Shapeways site update of July 1st 2010 [message #14279] Fri, 02 July 2010 15:13 UTC Go to next message
avatar arno  is currently offline arno
Go to all my models
Hi All,

We've had another update this week and I wanted to inform you about it:

* The big feature of this week is that we now support the use of sub-categories to better classify the models. With the number of models growing, as well as the kind of models, we think this to be a big step in making the site more usable.

You find the new categories and sub-categories directly on the front page and of course on the galleries.

The coming days/weeks we'll do more-and-more configuring in the subcategories, and we'll also try put as many models in the correct subcategory automatically as possible. (Eg, by putting models from a theme-gallery into a category that is of similar context).

You can help by reviewing your models and put them into the correct (sub) category. To prevent models being put in all categories, a model can only be put in a limited number of categories.
Please help in making your models easier to find.

* The description of a model can now be longer, you can use [enter] in the description, and it supports click-able URLs.

* And something not many of you will see (should see) ... if you choose to pay your order by bank transfer, you'll get a reminder email when the payment is almost due.

Kind regards, Arno
Re: Shapeways site update of July 1st 2010 [message #14280 is a reply to message #14279 ] Fri, 02 July 2010 15:45 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar dizingof  is currently offline dizingof
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Hi,

1. I'm on Firefox and cant get the sub directories to work for me, my entire window is covered with a bluish layer and that's it , nothing to do except do a refresh...

2. can we use <embed> for a youtube video too?
I use youtube videos to better market the models.

Thanks

http://www.3Dizingof.com
Re: Shapeways site update of July 1st 2010 [message #14281 is a reply to message #14280 ] Fri, 02 July 2010 15:53 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar virtox  is currently offline virtox
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Hi Dizinghof,

1. I had the same problem, for me the (temporary) solution was to not use "zooming" in the browser window, make sure things are shown at default size.

2. Second that Smile A video of a Gyro Toy says a thousand pictures Wink

Cheers (for Holland Smile )

Stijn

[Updated on: Fri, 02 July 2010 16:39 UTC]

- Artist / Engineer / Designer / Shopowner / Volunteer / Moderator -
Re: Shapeways site update of July 1st 2010 [message #14282 is a reply to message #14281 ] Fri, 02 July 2010 17:03 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar robert  is currently offline robert
Go to all my models
I work here
Which version of Firefox are you using?

For those wanting to embed videos we have something in store for you very soon. Smile

- Robert
Re: Shapeways site update of July 1st 2010 [message #14284 is a reply to message #14279 ] Fri, 02 July 2010 17:24 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar photosfromrob  is currently offline photosfromrob
Go to my shop
There should be subcategories under design your own and design your own under each category...please
Re: Shapeways site update of July 1st 2010 [message #14285 is a reply to message #14282 ] Fri, 02 July 2010 17:27 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar dizingof  is currently offline dizingof
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
robert wrote on Fri, 02 July 2010 17:03

Which version of Firefox are you using?

For those wanting to embed videos we have something in store for you very soon. Smile

- Robert

Firefox 3.6.6 the latest.

http://www.3Dizingof.com
Re: Shapeways site update of July 1st 2010 [message #14288 is a reply to message #14284 ] Fri, 02 July 2010 18:20 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar robert  is currently offline robert
Go to all my models
I work here
Yes, those categories are coming.

- Robert
Re: Shapeways site update of July 1st 2010 [message #14291 is a reply to message #14279 ] Fri, 02 July 2010 18:44 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
I'm having the same issue with firefox 3.6.6. Then again I've been having network issues all day so I can't confirm that it's shapeways and not my network. The loading thing spins, and the bottoms says getting this from there and this from here. But I cut it off after like 10 minutes.

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com
Re: Shapeways site update of July 1st 2010 [message #14307 is a reply to message #14279 ] Sat, 03 July 2010 01:40 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stonysmith  is currently offline stonysmith
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
For the model train enthusiasts that are modelling here.. it would be helpful if the "Model Train" section had a place to specify what SCALE a model is for.. O, HO, N, Z, etc.

Patience, Persistance, Politeness - the 3Ps will help us get us to Perfect Printed Products
Re: Shapeways site update of July 1st 2010 [message #14309 is a reply to message #14279 ] Sat, 03 July 2010 03:57 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar GHP  is currently offline GHP
Go to my shop
In Internet Explorer 8, I'm finding that the green buttons that you click to show the sub-category pop-up menus cover up many of the items in the pop-up menus. I'm attaching a snapshot. Also, are the next/previous (arrow) buttons on the "Draw your own earrings competition" picture supposed to do something? They don't when I click them, and that has been true of similar buttons on the other featured items lately. Also, my status bar when I go to the home page says "Error on page", with the error details as below:

"
Webpage error details

User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 5.1; Trident/4.0; GTB6.5)
Timestamp: Sat, 3 Jul 2010 03:57:54 UTC

Line: 817
Char: 7
Code: 0
URI: http://www.shapeways.com/platform/atk/javascript/prototype/p rototype.js

Line: 6
Char: 44
URI: http://www.shapeways.com/min/g=842c5b09a37d31870cf999a88acad 713&1276761830

Line: 817
Char: 7
URI: http://www.shapeways.com/platform/atk/javascript/prototype/p rototype.js
"

Incidentally, am I the only one who can't add shop sections and categories or move my items around on the page to edit my shop?

Re: Shapeways site update of July 1st 2010 [message #14318 is a reply to message #14309 ] Sat, 03 July 2010 11:42 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Yesterday, I spent quite some time putting models in the new right categories, when I finally got it working.

Today, they seem to have been reset to the values they had after the automatic conversion. Sad

Re: Shapeways site update of July 1st 2010 [message #14320 is a reply to message #14279 ] Sat, 03 July 2010 12:32 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar GHP  is currently offline GHP
Go to my shop
I've been trying to add categories to a model I've just uploaded, but when I leave the model's page, I get a dialog box titled "Message from webpage" with the message "Stack overflow at line: 218". When I return to the model's page, the categories I added are gone.

Update: The categories I added are back again!

[Updated on: Sat, 03 July 2010 12:36 UTC]

Re: Shapeways site update of July 1st 2010 [message #14321 is a reply to message #14279 ] Sat, 03 July 2010 12:39 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Grr, don't forget to also "save changes" to the model page, after "saving categories" Wink
Had to do my changes twice today Rolling Eyes

(although I'm sure, that yesterday I did this, as I checked them later and all were fine, till this morning)

Re: Shapeways site update of July 1st 2010 [message #14324 is a reply to message #14284 ] Sat, 03 July 2010 14:11 UTC Go to previous message
avatar jdl  is currently offline jdl
Go to all my models
We are working on this and will add very soon

Previous Topic:Shapeways site update of June 17th 2010
Next Topic:Upcoming Website Update: New Volume Calculation

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.