weird looking stl

Discussion in 'Software and Applications' started by 40575_deleted, Jul 2, 2010.

1. 40575_deleted
    40575_deleted Member
    i uploaded an STL model (created in solidworks)
    and the 'preview' is very weird: surfaces that supposed to be nice and smooth look distorted, is it only a display problem?

thanks

Attached Files:

2. bartv
    bartv Member
    I suspect it's a display issue, yes. However, if you could mail the stl file to bart@shapeways.com I'll look into it for you. The renderer shouldn't do that.

Cheers,

Bart

3. 28396_deleted
    28396_deleted Member
    This isn't a renderer default pic but a screen shot from the 3D view / java applet....

That java applet should have been replaced long ago with perhaps flash or at least display proper 3D view of our models...
    It is after all THE main method for customers and surfers to evaluate the model ... rendered pic even the best ones cant be compared to a nice 3D view (real time and with color).

Asher

4. bartv
    bartv Member
    @dizingof: you're right! *blush*

I hadn't noticed that yet, and my local rendering test works fine. So yeah, it'll print as intended.

A better 3D view is under investigation. Main problem is that the rendertimes are about 100x longer than for a single shot. Stay tuned :)

Bart

5. 40575_deleted
    40575_deleted Member
    sorry,
    i thought it was clear i meant *your* preview...
    my renders do look fine.

thank you both.
    now a couple more fix ups to the model and i'll be ready to print.

roie

6. bartv
    bartv Member
    No problem. I always forget we have the 'realtime' 3d preview so that never even crossed my mind ;)

Have fun with your project!

Bart

7. 28396_deleted
    28396_deleted Member
    @Bart, few days ago i stumbled upon a German website which sells USB and Keychains shells using a 3d color printer - (unfortunately i didn't bookmark the URL) - every model has a VERY cool flash 3D viewer - it loads very fast and display very quickly the 3D model + zoom in/ out , pan , roll etc.. AND in color :rolleyes:

This is a must have on shapeways.com :)

Having said that i have no clue how secure is Flash .. as now days every thing can be de-compiled and source may reveal the STL file of the model for anyone to copy.. :/

Asher

8. bartv
    bartv Member
    Yeah I know the one. It's nice but they only offer a limited number of models and these aren't very complex..

Our models can contain up to 500,000 fully texturemapped polygons, I don't think Flash is up to that. Or is it?

Bart