Home » Support » 3D Applications » weird looking stl
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
weird looking stl [message #14250] Fri, 02 July 2010 08:56 UTC Go to next message
avatar roiesh  is currently offline roiesh
Go to all my models
i uploaded an STL model (created in solidworks)
and the 'preview' is very weird: surfaces that supposed to be nice and smooth look distorted, is it only a display problem?

thanks

Re: weird looking stl [message #14251 is a reply to message #14250 ] Fri, 02 July 2010 09:25 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar bartv  is currently offline bartv
Go to my shop
I suspect it's a display issue, yes. However, if you could mail the stl file to bart@shapeways.com I'll look into it for you. The renderer shouldn't do that.

Cheers,

Bart

Community Manager Europe | Shapeways
Re: weird looking stl [message #14252 is a reply to message #14250 ] Fri, 02 July 2010 09:42 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar dizingof  is currently offline dizingof
Go to all my models
This isn't a renderer default pic but a screen shot from the 3D view / java applet....

That java applet should have been replaced long ago with perhaps flash or at least display proper 3D view of our models...
It is after all THE main method for customers and surfers to evaluate the model ... rendered pic even the best ones cant be compared to a nice 3D view (real time and with color).

Asher

http://www.3Dizingof.com

Re: weird looking stl [message #14253 is a reply to message #14252 ] Fri, 02 July 2010 09:48 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
@dizingof: you're right! *blush*

I hadn't noticed that yet, and my local rendering test works fine. So yeah, it'll print as intended.

A better 3D view is under investigation. Main problem is that the rendertimes are about 100x longer than for a single shot. Stay tuned Smile

Bart

Re: weird looking stl [message #14254 is a reply to message #14253 ] Fri, 02 July 2010 09:51 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar roiesh  is currently offline roiesh
Go to all my models
sorry,
i thought it was clear i meant *your* preview...
my renders do look fine.

thank you both.
now a couple more fix ups to the model and i'll be ready to print.

roie
Re: weird looking stl [message #14255 is a reply to message #14254 ] Fri, 02 July 2010 09:52 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
No problem. I always forget we have the 'realtime' 3d preview so that never even crossed my mind Wink

Have fun with your project!

Bart

Re: weird looking stl [message #14261 is a reply to message #14253 ] Fri, 02 July 2010 10:47 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar dizingof  is currently offline dizingof
Go to all my models
bartv wrote on Fri, 02 July 2010 09:48

@dizingof: you're right! *blush*

I hadn't noticed that yet, and my local rendering test works fine. So yeah, it'll print as intended.

A better 3D view is under investigation. Main problem is that the rendertimes are about 100x longer than for a single shot. Stay tuned Smile

Bart

@Bart, few days ago i stumbled upon a German website which sells USB and Keychains shells using a 3d color printer - (unfortunately i didn't bookmark the URL) - every model has a VERY cool flash 3D viewer - it loads very fast and display very quickly the 3D model + zoom in/ out , pan , roll etc.. AND in color Rolling Eyes

This is a must have on shapeways.com Smile

Having said that i have no clue how secure is Flash .. as now days every thing can be de-compiled and source may reveal the STL file of the model for anyone to copy.. :/

Asher

http://www.3Dizingof.com

Re: weird looking stl [message #14263 is a reply to message #14261 ] Fri, 02 July 2010 11:28 UTC Go to previous message
Go to my shop
Yeah I know the one. It's nice but they only offer a limited number of models and these aren't very complex..

Our models can contain up to 500,000 fully texturemapped polygons, I don't think Flash is up to that. Or is it?

Bart

Previous Topic:Exporting wrl color in blender
Next Topic:Is it possible to remove (my own) comments?