A call for big, show-stopping products!

Discussion in 'Feature this!' started by aimeemoyer, Jul 14, 2015.

1. aimeemoyer
    aimeemoyer Shapeways Employee Ecommerce Team
    A call for big, show-stopping items! We're looking for designs to feature at upcoming industry events. We know to use this forum (Feature This!) for Shapeways marketplace items, but would love to see your bigger commissions, personal or business design projects, etc - even if they are not for sale in the marketplace. We want to show off all the work, big and small! Feel free to email events@shapeways.com with details you do not want shared on this public forum.

2. Andrewsimonthomas
    Andrewsimonthomas Well-Known Member
  3. 478790_deleted
    478790_deleted Active Member
  4. MrSirLRD
    MrSirLRD Well-Known Member
  5. Kai_Bracher
    Kai_Bracher Active Member
    Hy Aimee, i don´t know if this fits your requirements. It´s an upcoming candleholder and it´s certainly BIG. I´m planning to make the body and the stand 15 cm in height ( to get away wiith 1,5 mm wall thickness) and make the wings clipable. So the total height will be app. 25 cm. Since it will be printed in steel the price will also be BIG... ..
    But it´s still in the making and I guess I will not be able to release it before september. There is still some designing to do, and the clip-on solution will also not be trivial. Also there might be some necessary changes ...
    But I would, of course, be happy, if you could use it for whatever you are planning. I don´t know your schedule...
    There is also a turntable video here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzRr-dGj45U6MmU4SzRCeDhaOGs /view?usp=sharing

Cheers
    Kai

2015-07-20 lux draconis .jpg

6. aimeemoyer
    Thank you all! I'll be in touch if we are interested in featuring any of these at events - since different events have different audiences, we can certainly use a variety.

If anyone has physically big home designs (think lighting and big home products), I'd love to look through some options for October-ish. (Kai, just keep me updated on the progress of your candle holder!)

7. 478790_deleted
    478790_deleted Active Member
    Hello,
    Is this initiative still valid?

8. Kai_Bracher
    Hy Aimee, this is me keeping you updated about the candleholder. But it´s not good news. First order was supposed to arrive in the mid of september, but I got a rejection message after the scheduled delivery date. ( the ones with the green boxes)

Then I optimized all the marked spots with more supports, but 2 days later got 3 more rejections, ( red boxes).
    Not sure right now if it´s worth pursuing this any further.
    I guess i´ll give it another try, but it might take some more weeks...
    I´m super frustrated at the moment.
    This time i didn´t even get a notice if it´s just the body or also the ( reinforced) wings....

ol2241747-Capture.PNG
    ol2241746-Capture.PNG
    ol2279709-3780799-v12-1487398-S2791846-1.PNG

9. aimeemoyer
    @Ziko - always looking for big amazing products!

@Kai - so sorry to hear your frustration. Have you been able to get a hold of Customer Service? They may be able to shed some light for you.

10. numarul7
    numarul7 Well-Known Member
    @Kai Looks like your design is more possible to be made in SLS Aluminium / Plastic only and not Steel due the wet sand sculpture rule and nature of first phase of manufacturing of Shapeways steel.

So you have the option to make it in WSF and paint it metalic with led lights / Or do it in SLS Aluminium with real candles.

I tried to imagine any feasible solution for it in Steel but sand rule means it is must be close to real "sculpting in sand" and that makes it crack in any weak spot in any position.

WSF / Aluminium SLS / WSF Alumide -> does not suffer from this

Yet you can make it a small ornamental dragon , would be cute too in bronze / brass.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2015
  11. Kai_Bracher
    Hy numarul7, thanks for your profound reply. You´re right: I´ve already ordered a Nylon version, but just as a mockup for myself. I want this thing in metal!
    It´s just more... precious and valuable. I´ve seen that you offer most of your great designs in metal and not in Nylon. And that is for a good reaason.
    You´re also right with the aluminum, but it would be superexpensive.... : (
    I´m gonna find a way. The recent model already consists of 3 parts ( wings and body). Maybe I also have to split the actual candleholderbowls and weld the whole piece together afterwards. Or add more supporting rods...
    That being sad, those guys already printed some amazing fragile structure for me. For example:
    https://www.shapeways.com/product/CHGYUAA2L/dragondoorhandle -no-1
    So I´m not letting go of this!

Thanks again
    kai

Last edited: Sep 27, 2015
  12. NikkruGadgets
    NikkruGadgets Well-Known Member
    Hi,

I thought I'd post something as well. This hasn't been printed yet (but many other scale models https://puu.sh/kpOLI/5607abf8c7.jpg ) but it's one of the most elaborate commissions I made through Shapeways so far.
    https://shpws.me/Jx3u The cab is not included in the set as requested by the client, but this is what it would look like assembled https://shpws.me/IBjf
    It's a scale model of a giant machine for harvesting cucumbers.

The other is a tiny and fairly simple, but moveable industrial part: a planetary gearing
    https://shpws.me/KebP
    https://youtu.be/iT7GzvzxFWU

Best regards,
    Nik

13. Kai_Bracher
    Hy Aimee, I don´t know if this is still relevant:
    After LOTS of changes I finally got all parts of my big dragon candleholder printed ( I had to split the stand of the body for printability...).So here are the first ( quick and dirty cell phone-)images of my "LUX DRACONIS 001" candleholder. The wings don´t fit right in the body yet and the whole thing has to be welded. But I´m confident that I can publish this candleholder by February, 1st. If you still interested in this and want any " behind the scenes" informations or insights, give me a shout. I´m planning to do a little "Making of" video of the grinding and welding in the workshop...
    LUX DRACONIS 001 - Kai Bracher (1).jpg
    LUX DRACONIS 001 - Kai Bracher (2).jpg

14. Ngineer
    Ngineer Well-Known Member
    Hi Aimee,
    Is this call still open? I have an idea for making a small (square foot or slightly bigger) demonstration model for model trains, vehicles and buildings, (almost) completely 3D printed. That would mean (almost) everything would be 3D printed. This would depend on the cooperation of some other modellers on this forum to supply stuff like a train or a vehicle etc, but I don't expect that would be a problem.

I see that 3D printing is slowly changing the way people from model railroaders to architects make models. This setup could show the possibilities.

Erik