How serious are FCSandstone thickness checks?

Discussion in 'Design and Modeling' started by AcetheSuperVillain, Jul 11, 2015.

1. I've never tried printing in Full Color Sandstone. I'm trying out Full Color Plastic, so I thought I should try out other options. The problem is, I'm not really interested in large figurines, which seems to be the intended use for Sandstone. 54mm/1:32 scale is about as large as I'd like to go, but that's never large enough to pass the autochecks. I've thought about going to 1:20 scale, but it's annoying to have a bunch of different models in different scales in the shop.

I've printed in WSF a lot, and I know that sometimes the autochecks are more worried about it than they need to be, but since I know Sandstone won't be as sturdy as WSF and the larger models are inherently more expensive, I'm hesitant to experiment with that.

sandstone_thickness.png

Here are a couple of thickness checks I'm not sure about. Do these look like they would definitely fail?

2. mkroeker
    mkroeker Well-Known Member
    FCS is said to be extremely brittle right out of the printer, before they cover it in superglue solution. I'd worry about the long drawn-out tail tip in the bottom left image (perhaps you could make it rest against a rock or similar on the base plate ?), and expect at least the occasional blunt spike on the manes in the top images.

3. Andrewsimonthomas
    Andrewsimonthomas Well-Known Member
    I'm not doing checking anymore so I can't give you a absolute yes or no, and checking is aways a judgement call made by the 3D print engineer.

From my view, I could see the tips of the hair and even hands as passible but that tail looks like it could break really easily. That thumb also sees suspect as well.