FUD vs. Transparent Acrylic

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 760550_deleted, Jun 30, 2015.

1. Hi guys,

a friend and me (we're both design students) were wondering wich material - frosted ultra detail or transparent acrylic - is better for printing a perfume bottle?
    It's for a project at uni so we're trying to achieve the best quality and to make it appear as realistic at possible!

Also, do you know if there is some kind of student discount?

Thanks a lot for your help!

Greets from Germany,
    Sabrina

2. katkinkead
    katkinkead Well-Known Member
    Hey there! Yes, there is most definitely a student discount, available here.

As far as deciding between FUD and transparent... depends on what you mean for "realistic" - the transparent resin may be clearer, but it also has a tendency to turn out a bit more yellow than FUD. FUD on the other hand can be less transperant (depending on orientation) and have a frosted look to it. Honestly, I prefer FUD over transparent resin but it's all a matter of preference. You'll also get better detail quality with FUD :)

3. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    So both don't "weather" well. Transparent will yellow (and start with a yellow tint), and FUD will whiten. Both need to be polished to increase transparency. If you want high detail, FUD is the way to go. If you're going for a bottle shape, and the yellow isn't an issue, I'd go with transparent detail.

4. sbhunterca
    sbhunterca Well-Known Member
    I was wondering if chemical resistance might be an issue, not knowing the composition of the perfume that might be used in the bottle?

You'd definitely want to check this out before printing it...

Steve Hunter

5. First of all thanks for your answers!!

We won't fill in any actual perfume, we just need the model to show the shape of it. That's a good point though!

In the end we choose transparent acrylic for time and money reasons... red the comment about the student discount to late :(
    Were can I find it for future projects though?

6. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    Click that blue "here" link in Kat's posts :)