Three new porcelain prints!

Discussion in 'My Shapeways Order Arrived' started by MadAsU, Jun 25, 2015.

1. MadAsU
    MadAsU Well-Known Member
    Here are my three recently received porcelain prints - more detail, description and comments below:
    IMG_1083.JPG

Here is my 'bulb' espresso cup. This was originally designed to look like a light bulb, playing on the theme of coffee inducing thinking and good ideas. The glazing process has blurred a lot of the detail around the 'stem' of the cup, so it looks a little more like a goblet. I like it just the same. The glazing on this model is really smooth and even and looks great. I think this is helped by having only curved parts - even the lip is nicely curved.:
    IMG_1078.JPG

This is my hexagonal pourover cup - to make pourover coffees. The cup itself is a little smaller than most commercially available pourover cups (to try to keep costs down) but I think it will still work. The red glaze looks amazing, so bright and rich. I have a small hole in the bottom of the cup (to let the coffee flow through) which was a hexagon in the design, but the glaze has made it almost circular - lesson here (again) is not to expect fine details to show through. The glaze is fairly even, although the glaze is thicker around the top edges - better than it being too light I guess. Lesson here is that sharper edges might have more of a build up of glaze, but I don't think it is an issue with this model.
    IMG_0997.JPG

And the last one - my circular, flowing, hexagonal type cup. I love how this has turned out - the curves around the cup are a little sharp and therefore the glaze has become a bit thin there - but I think it adds to the effect as it provides a nice contrast of lighter and darker blue and shows the details really nicely.
    IMG_0979.JPG

Overall, really impressed with the product that comes out of the porcelain material. My only constructive criticism is around the cost/pricing structure. As you can see, my models are typically cups or cuplike, which means surface area inside and out and makes for a fairly pricey model. I do look forward to having these on sale, but I am not sure how the market will like them even with a small markup.

2. gideonsimons
    gideonsimons Member
    Those all look great, makes me want to try out porcelain myself.

3. katkinkead
    katkinkead Well-Known Member
    Hey! These are great - did you see we added a photo of your red porcelain cup to our instagram account? We love it!

4. MadAsU
    MadAsU Well-Known Member
    Hi Kat, yes I did see that, thanks so much! It is always great to see other people enjoying my prints.

5. seriaforma
    seriaforma Well-Known Member
    Love the blue one - looks great! I especially like how the glaze flows over the edges, highlighting the shape.