Clarification on how success rates are assigned

Discussion in 'Materials' started by Nvenom8, Jun 22, 2015.

1. Nvenom8
    Nvenom8 Member
    Okay, so I just got an email today about the printability of several of my models. One of them, which I ordered in black sls nylon, was successfully printed but the way the success rates shook out is odd to me.

It now, after being printed once in black sls, has a success rate of 33% in black and 100% in white. I knew that this would happen if it worked perfectly the first time, but I'm unclear on how success of one sls plastic affects the success rates of the others.

Does a success in one automatically assign a success to itself and all those "equal to" or "below" it in the hierarchy, or does that only occur when there is not a known success rate for those below already.

To put it differently, if I now ordered it in a colored sls plastic like orange, and it printed successfully in that material, would all other plastics be upgraded to 100% success, and black upgraded to 50% (because I assume they tried three times and it worked on the third). Or, is black locked into 33% now until I order more black, regardless of what else I order?

Here's how the success rates look right now (image attached).

Attached Files:

2. igggv
    igggv Member
    hi,
    all I can give, is an example, which I do not quite understand.
    why white polished is not 100%? And it is marked in the store
    as never print.

Attached Files:

3. mkroeker
    mkroeker Well-Known Member
    igggv, last time "your" topic came up, the explanation given (by Mitchell I think) was that "white polished" receives a more thorough polishing than parts that are to be dyed, so success rates for "less demanding" variants of the process do not count towards "white polished".
    Nvenom8, only shapeways can say for sure but my understanding is that the success rate is only initialized with a simple "this was printed before", as the relevant change in the software predates the introduction of success rates.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2015
  4. Nvenom8
    Nvenom8 Member
    I think I'm going to mess with the sprues and see if I can come up with a better solution without raising my price too much. This kit is already pretty expensive, so I was hoping to avoid that.

At the very minimum, it would be a quick and dirty trick to reset the success rate if I'm planning on reordering anyway.

5. Andrewsimonthomas
    Andrewsimonthomas Well-Known Member
    Hey to clarify, the hierarchy is that if something fails in White Strong and Flexible it effects everything else.

If it fails in something with more post processing, it will only effect similarly processed parts. SO the hierarchy would look like this:

{ Dyed black
    White { Polished 2x
    { Polished 1x {Dyed other colors

Effects that happened to white effect everything but after that they diverge and become distinct processes until they get dyed different colors