Hi...best regards...

Discussion in 'My Work In Progress' started by inigohe, Jun 16, 2015.

1. inigohe
    inigohe Member
    Hi...thx for let me take part of your forum...

I have one question about those model, it´s posible,,,optimize those one in order to decrease the amount of material used....??? I think the prize for a prototype It´s expensive near 100 euros.

https://www.shapeways.com/model/upload-and-buy/3539920

https://www.shapeways.com/model/download/3539920

I don´t know if you can view those link..I add also the direct download link... the measure off hexagon betwen vertex should be 50 mm.

Thx, for help me.

Iñigo

Attached Files:

2. nigelren
    nigelren Well-Known Member
    I've tried uploading the model and it seems to be making it a solid object (pan around to see underneath and it's just a block of material).

Depending on your software, you need to give the walls some thickness, this will make it just a shell and massively reduce the costs. I use Blender and with that you can use the solidify modifier, there is probably something similar for the tool you are using.

3. mkroeker
    mkroeker Well-Known Member
    From viewing the STL file in netfabb studio basic (highly recommended, cross-platform freeware for checking and repairing models, available from netfabb.com), it appears that the fortification (for lack of a better word) is meant to be hollow already. Unfortunately the model contains several errors which shapeways' site software tried to fix automatically, thereby closing off the underside, leading to much expensive and unnecessary material being used.
    As far as I can tell, there seem to be overlapping faces in various parts of the model, coinciding with what netfabb flags as "holes" (outlined in yellow) - these are probably best resolved in your original drawing software - just blindly running the autorepair function leads to much the same as what shows up on shapeways (not surprising since they use software from netfabb as well)

4. stonysmith
    stonysmith Well-Known Member Moderator
    In addition to the notes above, the last step on the stairs (both sides) has no thickness.. you need to remove that area or make it thicker.

I'm not sure what you want this model to be, but I would consider making the underside hollow, so that you consume less material.

To do that, you need to know what material you want to print it in, so that you can set the wall thickness correctly.

Attached Files:

5. inigohe
    inigohe Member
    Hi...thx for the answer...I apreciate much your support...the first model I will redesing it, whith your tips...Here I have another one...less complex than the first one...but when I upload those one...to Shapeways...the system eliminates the defilade hole...making it solid...!!!! where is the trouble??

I pass one test with netfab software...to solve the errors...but I dont know if the trial soft...allows to save repaired modelas
    a new stl....

[​IMG]

Thx for your tips...and effort.

Iñigo

Attached Files:

6. mkroeker
    mkroeker Well-Known Member
    You can use "Export part" in the "Part" menu to save the model (be sure to click on the "apply repair" after doing repairs though).
    When shapeways' software closes an opening in your model, that usually means that there are holes along the rim of the opening and the software did not find the correct vertices to build the missing triangles, and drew them across the intended opening instead. Make sure that netfabb does not display a warning triangle next to your model...