IP and PayPal as of July the 1st

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 470897_deleted, Jun 15, 2015.

1. Being Shapeways utilizes PayPal how does this effect designers with PayPals new policies that will be implemented July the 1st?

Intellectual Property Pirating

2. UniverseBecoming
    UniverseBecoming Well-Known Member
    1.3 Intellectual Property. The URLs representing the PayPal website(s), "PayPal," and all related logos of our products and services described in our website(s) are either copyrighted by PayPal, trademarks or registered trademarks of PayPal or its licensors. In addition, all page headers, custom graphics, button icons, and scripts are either copyrighted by PayPal, service marks, trademarks, and/or trade dress of PayPal. You may not copy, imitate, modify, alter, amend or use them without our prior written consent. You, as a merchant, may use HTML logos provided by PayPal through our merchant services, auction tools features or affiliate programmes without prior written consent for the sole purpose of identifying yourself on your website as a merchant who accepts payments through the Service and directing web traffic from that website to the Service, but we may limit or revoke this permission at any time and for any reason in our sole discretion. You may not alter, modify or change these HTML logos in any way, use them in a manner that is disparaging to PayPal or the Service or display them in any manner that implies PayPal's sponsorship or endorsement. All right, title and interest in and to the PayPal website and any content thereon is the exclusive property of PayPal and its licensors.

When providing us with content or posting content (in each case for publication, whether on- or off-line) using the Services, you grant the PayPal Group a non-exclusive, worldwide, perpetual, irrevocable, royalty-free, sublicensable (through multiple tiers) right to exercise any and all copyright, publicity, trademarks, database rights and intellectual property rights you have in the content, in any media known now or in the future. Further, to the fullest extent permitted under applicable law, you waive your moral rights and promise not to assert such rights against the PayPal Group, its sublicensees or assignees. You represent and warrant that none of the following infringe any intellectual property right: your provision of content to us, your posting of content using the Services, and the PayPal Group's use of such content (including of works derived from it) in connection with the Services.

It would be best to contact their legal department to be sure, but it looks to me like they're referring to the line that I highlighted in blue. To get permission one would need to send them something for them to approve and they are just making sure one cannot turn around and sue them for copyright violations concerning the copyrighted material that was presented to them and then subsequently published by them in some way.

3. This is the part I mean to be referenced.

When providing us with content or posting content (in each case for publication, whether on- or off-line) using the Services, you grant the PayPal Group a non-exclusive, worldwide, perpetual, irrevocable, royalty-free, sublicensable (through multiple tiers) right to exercise any and all copyright, publicity, trademarks, database rights and intellectual property rights you have in the content, in any media known now or in the future. Further, to the fullest extent permitted under applicable law, you waive your moral rights and promise not to assert such rights against the PayPal Group, its sublicensees or assignees. You represent and warrant that none of the following infringe any intellectual property right: your provision of content to us, your posting of content using the Services, and the PayPal Group's use of such content (including of works derived from it) in connection with the Services.

What other transaction means is there here other than PayPal in doing business here on Shapeways? Would I be able to limit my shop to monetary transaction outside of PayPal?
    I'm well aware of the fact one of the Co-founders of Shapeways is known as a PayPal Group member.

A little reading for you.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2015
  4. Andrewsimonthomas
    Andrewsimonthomas Well-Known Member
    Hey Guys,

Thanks for flagging this.... I'm going to check and see if this has any impact on us or your shops.

5. stonysmith
    stonysmith Well-Known Member Moderator
    I'm not a lawyer, nor do I play one on TV - seek a lawyer in your jurisdiction for a legal answer.

You are not providing content TO Paypal. The buyer is asked to send money thru the service to Shapeways.
    It's the same as if I send you $1 as a gift. There's no "content" associated with the transaction.

6. Last edited: Jun 15, 2015
  7. mkroeker
    mkroeker Well-Known Member
    So it was actually a trick question based on something you read at that "truth and action" website you linked to ? After a quick search for articles from and about that site I am fairly certain that this is (at best) a parody "news" site similar to the more well known "The Onion". "Learn the truth and take action" yeah right...

PS: I would still appreciate if shapeways were to uncouple their "shop" system from paypal and (optionally) pay markup by bank transfer.

8. No I read the user agreement because of PayPal beginning to allow sales of e-cigs and the fishy way they were going about selecting sellers. It reads very blatantly to me that PayPal wants to collect intellectual properties or the use of with impunity.

9. mkroeker
    When providing us with content or posting content (in each case for publication, whether on- or off-line)
    which we do not, if we only use them as a payment service
    you grant the PayPal Group a non-exclusive, (right to use this content for how long and whatever they see fit)

I am not a lawyer either, but to me this makes sense only in the context of ebay and similar services - they are free to keep, and keep using, any images and product descriptions that you upload to their sites when you try to sell something through them, even if the actual sale is long past. I believe there are similar provisions referring to uploaded product images and forum messages in the shapeways T&C...

10. Last edited: Jun 15, 2015
  11. mkroeker
  12. mkroeker
    Also, if there is any real money or future business perspective involved you should be talking to a local lawyer, not some random frog with a funny accent.

13. So you're saying my next print should be a tin foil hat?

14. stonysmith
    stonysmith Well-Known Member Moderator
    Well.. they don't have TIN yet, but since most people refer to "aluminum foil" these days as "tin foil", then if you're part of the aluminum pilot...

I can see it now... @Woody64 prints a 'tinfoil' hat for a lego minfig...

15. mkroeker
    hehe... all modern tinfoil is actually aluminum, and aluminum "causes" Alzheimer's disease (if you rely on the study where they used aluminum trays and dishes for preparation of the tissue samples they later found huge amounts of aluminum in - the joys of doing trace analytics)...

16. Yes I am part of the aluminum pilot, I'm from a mid-western family that just always called it tin foil and it stuck with me.

It needs to be redrafted in clear context as it's incomprehensibility lends itself to controversy and speculation that seems founded to me.

17. Try and get that into corporate entities heads for a healthier public and it may only take the next century to go into effect if it does.

18. mkroeker
    Not sure I made myself clear - the aluminum "found" in brain samples was (mostly) from scraping around with scalpels in the aluminum petri dishes...
    anyway, back on whatever topic this originally was...

19. UniverseBecoming
    UniverseBecoming Well-Known Member
    They are saying that they are adding it to section 1.3, as found here. https://www.paypal.com/cy/webapps/mpp/ua/useragreement-full Here's how it will look when updated, see section 1.3. https://www.paypalobjects.com/webstatic/ua/pdf/EU/ints/ua.pd f

Paypal would have to be referring to their service marks, trademarks, and/or trade dress and any submissions of copyrighted material submitted related to such. If Paypal tried to claim ownership to everyones intellectual property they would be out of business in 6 weeks!! :D

If you want to talk conspiracy theories then here's my theory. Firstly, Alex Jones works for the United States CIA. :) I know this because of the story he told to the public about how he got started and how he asked his girlfriend to get involved with him in the beginning, along with numerous things that just didn't fit in with what I feel is normal that I saw over the years. No proof, just mostly intuition on my part, but I'm pretty good at intuitive stuff. :) The news article outlets where one can find articles with headlines such as, "Paypal Claims Copyright Ownership Of Users Intellectual Property" are all run by the CIA. Why? To besmirch the reputation of Paypal because Paypal is a means of doing financial transactions outside of the established methods. Established methods which have long been developed to be manipulated and which will one day be converted into a one world monetary system. If Paypal could be destabilized and even forced out of business then they'd have a much easier time implementing their plans of establishing a one world order.

But who are they? One might wonder. Well, they are not human. :D They are intelligent beings just like ourselves, but millions of years older than us humans. They are indigenous to the earth and evolved underground. They want to help us humans evolve. They are manipulating the intelligence agencies of all of the countries of the world along with all the military powers and anything else that is secret to implement a new world order where all humans can live in peace for the first time in human history. UGGG! It's a long long story. And extremely outrageous too! Like we humans were created by beings that once lived on MARS! HAHA! :D Yep! They needed gold to disperse into their atmosphere to try to slow down the rate at which their atmosphere was be removed by solar radiation. Which was the result of a cataclysm in our solar system that caused the magnetic field of Mars to dissipate rapidly. They came over here to earth and made us humans out of the animals here so we could get their gold for them. They then got out of hand so the beings that I spoke of above came up and eradicated them from the solar system. All of this is kept secret from us humans so as to not disturb our evolution.

How do I know all this? I don't. :)