Home » Support » Bug Reporting » Business Class Customers
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
icon4.gif  Business Class Customers [message #13892] Tue, 22 June 2010 04:50 UTC Go to next message
avatar Designmodeller1  is currently offline Designmodeller1
Go to my shop
The Good: I am now ready to open my own business with my Shapeways products! Cool I love Shapeways! I am opening my web-site soon!

The Bad: I just put in my biggest order ever! It took me 4hours to complete! Shocked

The Process is Slow:
1. Uploading 60 separate files takes a long time!

2. Clear out e-mail inbox with 120 emails!
Thanks for uploading! - 60 emails
Your Product became printable!- 60 emails

3. Ordering 60 separate parts takes forever!
Goto my designs-->Goto page1or2-->Click product--->Add to cart-->Repeat 60 times...

4. Wait for payment confirmation...Success! Very Happy

5. Wait for 120 more emails..
Your design "1-60" is now printing!-60 emails
Your design "1-60" is now shipping!-60 emails

Total emails=240! Shocked

Shapeways: Please create a way that Businesses can upload and order many objects faster. I suggest setting up a FTP server just for businesses.

And please allow an option to trim down number of notification emails.

Thanks!
Re: Business Class Customers [message #13904 is a reply to message #13892 ] Tue, 22 June 2010 12:21 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
The option to trim down the emails is there. Up at the top click on your name and they check boxes are on the right side. Order Status updates are on there. You didn't count the ups tracking email either Razz.

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate
Re: Business Class Customers [message #13908 is a reply to message #13904 ] Tue, 22 June 2010 14:47 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
I see the options for emails:

Send private forum message notifications through e-mail
E-mail order status updates
Subscribe to newsletters
E-mail model comments

I have unchecked the order status updates, but is there the option to change model upload, model print, and model ship status updates?

I'm not complaining too much, Shapeways has a great system for small orders but when it comes to big orders it becomes a really long process.

Re: Business Class Customers [message #13910 is a reply to message #13908 ] Tue, 22 June 2010 16:05 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar vaclav.mazany  is currently offline vaclav.mazany
Go to my shop
I totally agree with that. Lots of emails.
Especially the "someone has ordered..." even when it is me who's ordering the model.
It would be nice, to receive only emails that are necessary. I mean, I don't need the "thanks for uploading", but I want to know, if the model became printable.
I don't want to get emails that I ordered a model saying, "someone has ordered..." Smile but I want to know, if someone else has ordered some model, but maybe having just some sort of summary on profile would be better.

Has anyone in Shapeways tried Turbosquid and their publishing and product/selling statistics ?
Re: Business Class Customers [message #13914 is a reply to message #13910 ] Tue, 22 June 2010 20:38 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar robert  is currently offline robert
Go to all my models
I work here
Thanks for feedback. Let me see what we can do.

I agree that the current interface is not very practical for large orders.

- Robert

Ps. Thanks for your order (and patience)
Re: Business Class Customers [message #13917 is a reply to message #13892 ] Wed, 23 June 2010 00:43 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar buyer  is currently offline buyer
Go to all my models
Hi Designmodeller1

This is too late for you now, but perhaps you could have put multiple parts in one file to upload? Depending on the polycount and materials?

You might be able to put 10 parts in each upload STL, so you would only get 36 emails instead of 240. And it could in theory take one tenth of the time to upload?

Re: Business Class Customers [message #13918 is a reply to message #13917 ] Wed, 23 June 2010 02:57 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
That is a good suggestion!

I'm not sure how it would work with calculations though....hmmm since my items are jewelry I could probably put in 4-5 in a single file without exceeding poly count or file size limits.

I will have to do a test file with 4 in it and compare the cost calculation...should be the same.

Thanks for the idea~ Cool
Re: Business Class Customers [message #13919 is a reply to message #13892 ] Wed, 23 June 2010 03:46 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Charmed_Life_Designs  is currently offline Charmed_Life_Designs
Go to my shop
Forgive/correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't putting multiple models in the same file also help keep startup costs down? Say you order 5 copies of a model in WSF, the startup costs will be $1.50 per model or $7.5 total. If you combined those same models into one file, the startup costs would just be $1.50, saving you $6. That's a significant savings, even with such a small number of models...

When in doubt... Duct tape!
Re: Business Class Customers [message #13934 is a reply to message #13919 ] Thu, 24 June 2010 00:38 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
I'm not sure where you are getting the compounding start up costs from?

I believe that the start up costs only apply once per order, else for my 60 parts it would have cost me an additional $90 just in start up fees?

My only problems with combining multiple STL files into one are the need to be still able to order them separately in the future. Say I have a need for 5 rings size7 and 3 size6 this time, if I upload a combined file I will only be able to order that exact quantity at a time.

For now individual files will be the best bet due to the fact that I don't know what designs and sizes will be the most popular.
Re: Business Class Customers [message #13941 is a reply to message #13934 ] Thu, 24 June 2010 10:34 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar virtox  is currently offline virtox
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
The startup cost is per "model".

So if you order 60 separate models in *SF you pay 60 times the startup cost. ($1.50 per model in wsf, other amounts for color)

This startup fee (as was explained on the live feed yesterday) is necessary for Shapeways to compensate for cleaning and handling lots of small items.

So in theory you could save the startup cost by putting as much models in one file.
You could upload one bulk file for testing and 60 separate files for later sales. But Shapeways prefers you not to Wink

"They won't banish you" Wink but if enough people "abuse" the system they will eventually have to take precautions I assume.

So in the end : you did good Very Happy

Very curious what you are going to sell !

When is the grand opening ?

Cheers,

Stijn

- Artist / Engineer / Designer / Shopowner / Volunteer / Moderator -
Re: Business Class Customers [message #18174 is a reply to message #13892 ] Wed, 22 September 2010 19:22 UTC Go to previous message
avatar Nane  is currently offline Nane
Go to all my models
LoL, something tells me I am about to feel your pain Designmodeller1! In a couple weeks I will be uploading 64+ individual files to get my miniature company going. (Printed in White Detail, have already uploaded 22 test minis, not part of the 64+, and went through some of this). The first thing I checked for was to see if Shapeways had a ftp. Sad

I thought about uploading multiple minis in single files but I could only fit 2-3 on average per file as they are 100-300polys pending mini, and if I have issues I would rather be able to fix single minis than have to deal with groups of them.

Idea
- I think a ftp login with your account name and password would be great.
- From there I would like two folders, PublicSale and PrivatePurchase. Public would allow them to be seen and sold once you set the info for them. Private would automatically hide them for private view and sale only. I would just dump all of them in private and be done.
- The item/product names would simply be taken from the name of your file minus the extension.

That would greatly reduce a lot of repetitive work, at least for uploading private products. Either way is cool, Shapeways still rocks.

Previous Topic:IE 7 fails to go to Paypal for purchase
Next Topic:Materials - once more

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.