Our Gift to You: 20% off your own designs in Strong & Flexible Plastic through Dec 23, with promo code MY2014 · details
Home » Community » Post Production Techniques » SWF shiny finish and painting
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
SWF shiny finish and painting [message #13778] Fri, 18 June 2010 00:10 UTC Go to next message
avatar HaVoC373  is currently offline HaVoC373
Go to my shop
Hi,
I'm currently modeling a rather large space ship maquette which I will have to print and assemble in segments beause of its size.
Its certainly bigger than the space ship models I have seen in the shops here.
The final model size is not yet set but its between 80 cm and 1.20m long.

Now I intend to print this in WSF because it needs to be strong and I dont want to go ridiculously over budget.

That said, the design calls for a smooth and shiny or almost reflective surface on some of the parts. but it also has to be painted.

Can someone here please recomend me a work method and/or types of paint and lacquer i should use.

I was thinking of using several layers of black primer to sort of smooth out the models rough texture.
Then painting on top of that and then using a clear lacquer or varnish to get the shiny or reflective surface.

Thank you for any assistance you can give me.

[Updated on: Fri, 18 June 2010 00:11 UTC]

Re: SWF shiny finish and painting [message #13814 is a reply to message #13778 ] Sat, 19 June 2010 16:23 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Datto  is currently offline Datto
Go to my shop
Look for a high-build primer, like this Plastikote product Plastikote - Flexible Spot Filler & Primer (467). There are others out there too.

You will probably be applying several, if not many coats, sanding in between with 220 or thereabouts grit sandpaper. This will eventually flatten out the surface, and you should be able to sand with a finer paper (400-600) to get a substrate for a nice finish. For color coat, you can use hobby acrylics and an airbrush, or spray cans of hobby or auto retouching paint from the auto-parts store. You can then mask of areas and clear coat with varying levels of sheen to get the effect of different materials. Or you can clear coat with one type coating, and when thouroghly dry, knock the sheen down with very fine steel wool, and bring it up with a polishing compound.

If you spaceship surface is covered with nernies, like the deathstar, you'll be working a looong time Laughing

Do you have access to compessor/spray gun, or will this be painted with rattle cans?

[Updated on: Sat, 19 June 2010 16:28 UTC]

Re: SWF shiny finish and painting [message #13820 is a reply to message #13814 ] Sat, 19 June 2010 18:48 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
thanks for the advice. sadly i do not have acces to a spray gun. so it will probably be done using rattle spray cans. and i was also thinking of auto retouching paint because of its shiny finish.
and yea its does have alot of small details and indentations. but those are mostly on the engines. the rest of the ship will for the majority be smooth with some wide hull panel seperation spaces. but thats where i intend to cut the model up for easyer printing and assemly so those will be easyer to paint Smile
Re: SWF shiny finish and painting [message #13822 is a reply to message #13820 ] Sat, 19 June 2010 19:50 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Datto  is currently offline Datto
Go to my shop
Spray cans will do the job admirably. Sounds like a cool project.
Re: SWF shiny finish and painting [message #13992 is a reply to message #13822 ] Sat, 26 June 2010 00:28 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
i noticed that alumide is also availible. can someone tell me if this is any good for painting and how smooth is the material really. cause from what i can tell from low rez youtube video's and some pictures i've found it looks rather rough. i know it says its smooth on the other page but it doesnt look like it from my point of view. can someone show me some high rez photographs or tell me if its good to paint on?

thanks
Re: SWF shiny finish and painting [message #14132 is a reply to message #13992 ] Wed, 30 June 2010 18:26 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar euphy  is currently offline euphy
Go to my shop
Alumide is a little rougher than WSF. It's more expensive too and more brittle - if you're going to paint/coat it, then there's not much to recommend alumide I think.

Sandy Noble
Re: SWF shiny finish and painting [message #15210 is a reply to message #14132 ] Sun, 25 July 2010 23:13 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
i've been experimenting on WSF with some paints to get it super smooth with some mixed results. i dont have a camera at the moment to show you but i wanted to know if anyone here has managed to make a WSF model so smooth to the point where it almost seemed like it was polished metal?
i'm not looking for shiny i just want the super smooth finish.

right now its kind of grainy. i'm thinking about trying some sand paper and some latex based paint to get a good cover. is that a good idea using sand paper on wsf?

has anyone any succes getting this kind of finish? and if so can you post some images?

any help is much apriciated

[Updated on: Sun, 25 July 2010 23:13 UTC]

Re: SWF shiny finish and painting [message #15213 is a reply to message #13778 ] Sun, 25 July 2010 23:57 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Drawn-SteelHero  is currently offline Drawn-SteelHero
Go to my shop
I haven't tried it yet, but what about some kind of viscous varnish (probably acrylic)? If you thin it down to a creamy consistency so it's not obscuring your printed detail, you should be able to use it to fill in the pores in a few coats.

Andy
Re: SWF shiny finish and painting [message #15215 is a reply to message #13778 ] Mon, 26 July 2010 01:37 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar dadrummond  is currently offline dadrummond
Go to my shop
Check out this post on a lacquer spray applied to BSF.

------------------
Elytra on Shapeways: http://www.shapeways.com/shops/elytra
Re: SWF shiny finish and painting [message #15249 is a reply to message #15215 ] Mon, 26 July 2010 11:29 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
dadrummond wrote on Mon, 26 July 2010 01:37

Check out this post on a lacquer spray applied to BSF.

nice, thats pretty much the finish i am looking for Smile thanks
Re: SWF shiny finish and painting [message #15398 is a reply to message #13778 ] Thu, 29 July 2010 05:55 UTC Go to previous message
avatar woody64  is currently offline woody64
Go to my shop
I'm also experimenting on this side for months.
My result is to switch to the detailed material.

Here's a reference picture of the same item done in W&F and in Transparent Detailed.
Both items were sprayed with a Tamiya can.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34336019@N07/

Also I would be very interested in techniques which can be used for mass delivery. Even if it's done by an external company.

Woody64

More then 8100 items sold over SW (but still a hobby)
Minifigcustomsin3d at: Facebook Flickr Twitter
References: 3d Printing Industries, CNN, J. Burks, Ugly Duckling, M.Evans, Stop Motion Film,Computer BILD, How to Become a 3D Printing Entrepreneur
More then 270 shop items (more then 146 already printed once) More the 500 successful Products (Items&material printed once)

Previous Topic:Turning the steel black
Next Topic:Dyed WSF and Detail

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.