Jack Sparrow Figure

Discussion in 'My Work In Progress' started by Sculptory, May 20, 2015.

1. Sculptory
    Sculptory Member
    Hi guys,

I just want to share the piece I`m working on at the moment. Any feedback and notes are welcomed.

HEAD MODELLING YOUTUBE TIMEELAPSE
    <iframe width="854" height="510" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/iURV5PGSJIs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

WIP BODY TURNTABLE
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 20, 2015
  2. shawn_halayka
    shawn_halayka Well-Known Member
    That's really cooll. What software do you use to create these figurines?

3. Sculptory
    Sculptory Member
    Hi shawn_halayka!

I use Zbrush and 3ds max. At the beginning I wanted to stay within Zbrush but for clothes 3ds Max is really handy. The belts and clothes is easier to control in low poly (hard-surface modelling) and I found 3ds Max quicker for that.

If you interested in the process I'm recording it as a time elapse. It'll be a few hours though as making these take a lot of time. :)
    At the end I want to cut a short "trailer-making of" video for the shop, but the full time elapse will be available as well.

4. shawn_halayka
    Please do upload the time lapse video and share the link. I have fiddled around a bit with Sculptris, and I'd love to see how one goes about making such a great looking sculpture.

5. Sculptory
    Sculptory Member
  6. shawn_halayka
    Sorry I missed that the first time around, thanks for the video.

7. Sculptory
    Sculptory Member
    Do you know how to ember youtube video properly to this forum? I managed to do that for other forums.

8. Sculptory
    Sculptory Member
    Here is the recent progress of Jack.
    * Sculpted scarf and bandage
    * Added fur to the waistline
    * Rings

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is a render of Jack's rings. They will be available in shop as well.
    [​IMG]

Thi is my workstation while sculpting bandage. Captured it just for fun.
    I love my machine. Altough I'll need to get some improvements. Like another monitor. :)
    [​IMG]

9. Sculptory
    Sculptory Member
    Experimenting further with poses. Trying to find something characteristic to Jack.

(no reference)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Which one do you like?

10. shawn_halayka
    I like pose 4 the best. :) They all look so good though. You're really good at capturing the model.

11. rkapuaala
    rkapuaala Well-Known Member
    Wow! very nice :)

12. Sculptory
    Sculptory Member
    Thanks, shawn_halayka!
    I see you are a very active member on shapeways forum. Thanks for you support. :) I started to work on the "pose 4" so I can progress. And later I may release more poses of the model.

Cheers, rkapuaala!
    Your "King David Kalakaua" figurine is really awesome! Did you learn sculpting somewhere?

13. rkapuaala
    Thanks that is very flattering coming from you. I admire the detail work you are doing on Jack. Unfortunately I could not afford to go to school to learn any of the skills I have. I did have a scholarship to Los Angeles Academy of fine arts, but it was only for one semester and the only courses I took were figure study and painting, they did not offer any sculpting courses. Back then circa 1970 they didn't have computers, only clay, wood, stone, wax, etc... So those are the materials I taught myself to sculpt with.
    While those materials are hard to master, they are no where near as hard to master as digital. I admire the progress you've made so far on Jack and can't wait to view the finished product.

14. Sculptory
    Sculptory Member
    I posed Jack into "Pose #4" and sculpted the hands. Hope you like it (or don't like it) and give feedback. :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next step is finalizing the clothes and add an extra pass on the face.

15. shawn_halayka
    That looks deadly! Good job.

16. rkapuaala
    Wow, I don't know which pose I like better.

17. Sculptory
    Sculptory Member
  18. Sculptory
    Sculptory Member
    Half way through the clothing

[​IMG]

19. shawn_halayka
    Your work never ceases to amaze me. Great work!

20. Sculptory
    Sculptory Member
    You are too kind shawn!

Would like to progress quicker but from now on the changes will be very subtle. I have so many ideas for new projects. Want to finish this. But want to work on it at the same time. I think this is an artist dilemma. :)