Level of 'erosion' from polish?

Discussion in 'Materials' started by thegreger, May 17, 2015.

1. thegreger
    thegreger Member
    I'm considering printing a topgraphic model of a mountain lake in silver, to be used as a small piece of jewelry (about 7x4 cm, so maybe 3 inches tall). However, I'm concerned about whether to choose raw or polished silver. My two concerns are
    a) Printing lines. Obviously, my decision on whether to polish it or not depends on how pronounced these artefacts are.
    b) Surface erosion from polishing. Since it's an alpine lake, it's very important to me to capture the jagged structure of the surrounding mountains. With a model this small, I'm concerned that the polishing process might leave me with smoother edges and less detail, giving the impression of smooth hills rather than dramatic mountains.

Does anyone here have experience with ordering unpolished silver models and polishing them yourselves to get the desired results? Is it even possible to get rid of printing lines and similar structures yourself, or will I need special tools? In that case, I could polish selectively, focusing more on flat surfaces like the lake and leaving the mountain edges more or less alone.

I'd be really grateful for any input. All I have to go by so far is a google image search.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 17, 2015