Home » Support » 3D Design » Blender question: is there a function for finding unconnected meshes?
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Blender question: is there a function for finding unconnected meshes? [message #13593] Fri, 11 June 2010 12:17 UTC Go to next message
avatar AotrsCommander  is currently offline AotrsCommander
Go to my shop
I've had a couple of models recently that have ended up having thin floating sections, which are causing problems for Shapeways. (See attached image.)

I draw my designs in TurboCAD, then export and .dxf to Blender and out as a .stl.

The parts in question were drawn by changing to workplane (by snapping to three points on the surface) , drawing a polyline and then extruding the shape. I'm not sure whether the error has come from me not QUITE getting the workplane right (it's easy to snap to the wrong point or the grid sometimes, if the grid is (because of others things I've been doing) close to the point. Or It might simply be a randomly-ocurring error somewhere between the translators,

Anyway, these problems are not really visible in TurboCAD. Now that I know what I'm looking for in Blender, I can see that they aren't attached to the main body; but because I Boolean Add everything in TCAD, Blender doesn't see it as a seperate object.

So, my question is, does anyone know if there a function in Blender than looks for meshes not connected? (Even if they are part of the same grouped object?)

If not, I'll just have to do it the hard way i.e. trial and error (with th complexity of the model, I can't really check every vertex manually!)

Re: Blender question: is there a function for finding unconnected meshes? [message #13594 is a reply to message #13593 ] Fri, 11 June 2010 12:23 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Eeppium  is currently offline Eeppium
Go to my shop
You can select conneted vertices by point your mouse at the vertex and press "L" this will select only the verts that are connected to eachother,
Or select just one vert and press Ctrl and numpad + this "spreads" the selection.

[Updated on: Fri, 11 June 2010 12:25 UTC]

Re: Blender question: is there a function for finding unconnected meshes? [message #13602 is a reply to message #13593 ] Fri, 11 June 2010 13:29 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar AotrsCommander  is currently offline AotrsCommander
Go to my shop
Yep, that'll do it. Thanks.

Edit:

Well, it seems part of my problem is incompetance (as least two parts were actually sat on top of thin air, where I'd apparently not put an extrusion - and it wasn't fraggin' obvious, either...), but some the problem appears to be that it's a bt of luck whether Blender translates the .dxf as it didn't seem to be too consistant.

At any rate, I can at least do a check for these errors now thanks to that!

[Updated on: Fri, 11 June 2010 15:31 UTC]

Re: Blender question: is there a function for finding unconnected meshes? [message #15171 is a reply to message #13602 ] Sat, 24 July 2010 08:37 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Mafiagenious  is currently offline Mafiagenious
Go to all my models
I'd just like to add that ctrl + alt + shift + M in edit mode will select all edges that pretty much the shapeways printers don't like. I think it selects vertices connected to under or over 2 other vertices but I'm not 100% sure. But it should select all the bad edges in your mesh anyway.
Re: Blender question: is there a function for finding unconnected meshes? [message #15175 is a reply to message #13593 ] Sat, 24 July 2010 09:08 UTC Go to previous message
avatar Drawn-SteelHero  is currently offline Drawn-SteelHero
Go to my shop
Just a quick thought; I thought TurboCAD already had the ability to export to STL directly (I just Googled it, and it looks like it'sone of about 5 filetypes it can export to); do you even need Blender to translate it? Confused

Andy

Previous Topic:IPAD cover file
Next Topic:Objects not exported to STL

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.