Home » Support » 3D Applications » Non-Manifold C4D
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Non-Manifold C4D [message #13543] Thu, 10 June 2010 16:00 UTC Go to next message
avatar antiapathy  is currently offline antiapathy
Go to all my models
I extruded some graffiti-style type and duplicated the results into rings. The result was non-manifold, but I am having trouble grasping the definition of non-manifold (and struggling to use effectively the non-manifold check in C4d effectively).

It seems like extruded shapes should be manifold. My letters DO overlap one another. If I extruded each letter separately, would that solve the issue?

I attached the file, in case a fellow C4D user is willing to take a look.

[Updated on: Thu, 10 June 2010 16:01 UTC]

Re: Non-Manifold C4D [message #13544 is a reply to message #13543 ] Thu, 10 June 2010 16:02 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
What file type are you uploading to shapeways?

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate
Re: Non-Manifold C4D [message #13546 is a reply to message #13544 ] Thu, 10 June 2010 16:03 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
I exported and uploaded an STL.
Re: Non-Manifold C4D [message #13547 is a reply to message #13546 ] Thu, 10 June 2010 16:12 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Is it possible that the issues are happening with the export? Are there other format options I have that may be better?
Re: Non-Manifold C4D [message #13549 is a reply to message #13543 ] Thu, 10 June 2010 16:48 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
The issue with uploading an stl with intersecting geometry is the verticies intersect. Can you trim the lines to each other before extruding? or join the solids so they don't overlap?

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
Re: Non-Manifold C4D [message #13551 is a reply to message #13549 ] Thu, 10 June 2010 16:53 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Yes, I could trim the lines before extruding.

The other part is a little harder. Maybe I could use booleans to add the objects together or subtract them from each other.

What do you think? Thanks for the suggestions.
Re: Non-Manifold C4D [message #13552 is a reply to message #13543 ] Thu, 10 June 2010 17:07 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
Yes, use boolean union

Re: Non-Manifold C4D [message #13605 is a reply to message #13552 ] Fri, 11 June 2010 16:50 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Making and importing the outlines was no problem.

The C4D booleans isn't working the way I had hoped though. It doesn't seem to delete all the parts that end up in the inside of the model.

Is there some other trick I am missing?

In the file attached I am showing the "Boolean Intersection," because I believe that is what is probably deleted when I do "Boolean Union."

I imagine/hope there is a better solution than to manually go in and delete the intersecting parts.

[Updated on: Fri, 11 June 2010 16:51 UTC]

Re: Non-Manifold C4D [message #13607 is a reply to message #13543 ] Fri, 11 June 2010 17:18 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
Unfortunately I can't open a C4D. If you can put up and STL or preferably an IGES I can take a look.

Re: Non-Manifold C4D [message #13640 is a reply to message #13607 ] Sun, 13 June 2010 01:22 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
I attached the STL file of the supposed boolean union (It doesn't seem to have worked, as I mentioned before) of the two graffiti names. Thanks for taking a look!

Re: Non-Manifold C4D [message #13898 is a reply to message #13640 ] Tue, 22 June 2010 10:19 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar bartv  is currently offline bartv
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Hi antiapathy,

sorry I hadn't spotted your message before. I had a look at your model and as you say, the problem were the faces that were still left on the inside where the parts intersected.

I manually removed them for you, you'll find the fixed file attached.

If you have further questions, you can also email service@shapeways.com directly. That's probably faster.

Good luck!

Bart

Community Manager Europe | Shapeways
Re: Non-Manifold C4D [message #14268 is a reply to message #13543 ] Fri, 02 July 2010 12:42 UTC Go to previous message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
Bart no file,
Antiapathy sorry this fell of my plate. Embarassed

Previous Topic:Is it possible to remove (my own) comments?
Next Topic:Alibre Design

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.