Partially Textured Sandstone Model

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 541890_deleted, May 1, 2015.

1. I've been working on a simple model of a pyramid with some colored letters on the side recently. I'd like the letters to be colored, and when I upload the design they are (I'll be printing in full color sandstone); however, I want the rest of the pyramid to remain untextured and come out with a nice...well...sandstone colored finish. I've attached an image of the model for reference.

Pyramid.png

When printing in full-color sandstone, can I leave the majority of the model with no textures and have those faces come out with the same sandy color that plain sandstone seems to print in? Or will the blank faces be assigned white as a color, meaning I have to manually texture those faces myself?

I'd really like to know this before I actually move to print it, of course!

Thanks

2. mkroeker
    mkroeker Well-Known Member
    The "sandstone" printer uses CMYK inks, so it can not produce "white" anyway except by leaving the whitish material unpainted, just like a 2D inkjet printer.

3. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    The picture on the sandstone page does not look right. What I've seen of natural sandstone is pretty white.

4. MrNibbles
    MrNibbles Well-Known Member
  5. mkroeker
    mkroeker Well-Known Member
    I believe that preview does not do it justice either - I have not done any plain/"natural" sandstone parts, but I had the pleasure of looking at the uncolored inside of some textured models after unplanned gravity experiments (easily repaired with superglue) and it was as white as one would expect of gypsum. (So not the bright white of typical office paper with all its optical brighteners, but white all the same)

6. Thanks for all the insight! I'll take the opportunity to create a custom sandstone texture to get the finished color result I want in this case.

7. stannum
    stannum Well-Known Member
    [​IMG]
    Real product is more like paper. But you can also see how the other colors bleed into the white.

8. MrNibbles
    MrNibbles Well-Known Member
    Many material renders are iffy. A more thorough marketplace search using the full color filter might reveal actual photos of the base sandstone product. I accidentally ordered the no color sandstone option once. Maybe I can dig it up tonight and post a photo