Greetings from stubborn 2D artist

Discussion in 'Newcomers Lounge' started by AbsoluteGeekery, Apr 16, 2015.

1. Hello! Thought it was time I posted an intro on here... So here we go!

I'm 25 years old. Female. An Architecture student and 2D freelance artist. Living in Romania. You'd probably expect me to know some decent 3D modelling because of my Architecture background, but the truth is I've only ever worked in ArchiCAD for my university renders and had a few basic AutoCAD classes in my 1st year (meaning 5 years ago), so... No.

I found this site a couple of years ago and immediately thought how cool it'd be to model your own jewelry. I'm a big fan of metal jewelry, especially silver... Plastic jewelry tends to get on my nerves for some reason. Now the thing is, I never had the "nudge" to get to work on a model until recently, when I started re-reading the Harry Potter books and went back into the fangirl frenzy I was notorious for about 15 years ago. I wanted a "house" crest piece and couldn't find anything online that was both made in metal and fit my "vision"... I was actually a bit surprised at that because it's like this huge franchise that's completely filled Etsy stores (and I've also seen a ton of HP pieces on Shapeways) and with how passionate people are about their houses... Well, you know. So anyway, I decided "nevermind, I'll make my own".

I chose Rhino because from what I've seen of other similar software, it's the most intuitive. To me, at least. Learned a bit by working on two other models before starting on the crests. Then I proceeded with the crests themselves... learned a bit more. And now I seem to've caught the bug. I finally finished those crest pendants and ordered one of each - they're "in production" now, I hope there won't be any rejection issues or anything. And if I like how they came out I'd like to continue modeling stuff like that. I still have so much to learn!

You can see how they came out in the shop: https://www.shapeways.com/shops/absolute-geekery

If they do print without issue I'll post proper photos of them when they arrive to me. I ordered the small versions (5.3 cm tall) in stainless steel, so I'm worried about the details completely disappearing, or worse - the entire crest just looking like a "blob" of something. Fingers crossed that I'm just being needlessly dramatic.

So... yeah, that's basically it. I'm here because I'm a fangirl who just HAS to have her stuff :))