Cleaning castable wax and burn out.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Vastatoris, Apr 8, 2015.

1. Vastatoris
    Vastatoris Member
    Hey fellow shapeways...er

I have order a figurine in castable wax, but when my caster received the model it was quote unquote "greasy and covered in white'ish goo". Does any of your guys have any experience in cleaning castable wax ? Should we use ultra sonic, cold soap or what is your best advice?

Also if there is any casters out there we would love any tips or tricks and details regarding the burn out cycle on shapeways castable wax.

Thanks in advanced, Vastatoris.

2. JewelryLab
    JewelryLab Member
    photo would be helpful, from what I know projet wax cleaned with alcohol, but I don't know what kind of wax and support shapeways is using. How's the model came out overall? what resolution they used? are detail sharp?

3. Vastatoris
    Vastatoris Member
    Unfortunately we don't have any pics of the wax, since we have cleaned the model. And to anyone interested it cleans very easy in an ultrasonic bath set to low. In regards to details, this is the second time we ordered the castable wax stuff(first time it melted into a blue mesh doing a vulcanization process) the details always turns out very sharp, it could be an optical illusion or it could be that the blue wax printer just is higher resolution. I don't know. Other then the white goo we also had another small problem consisting of an gaping hole in the model, a mistake from the printing process, something shapeways should have noticed and would have if it wasn't for the model being covered in support material when shipped out.