My first ever 3D print: Simple Celtic Cross

Discussion in 'My Shapeways Order Arrived' started by ldemrys, Apr 7, 2015.

1. ldemrys
    ldemrys Well-Known Member
    I've been creating 3D models on my computer as a hobby for several years now, and finely decided to check out the 3D printing scene. I decided to start simple and created a simple Celtic Cross. (I'm not religious. I just think they look cool.) The model was created in Solidworks 2005, and exported as an STL file. I selected stainless steel thinking of the nice shiny finish stainless is usually associated with. I didn't really look too close at the material descriptions, so I was kinda surprised by the finished product. But now that I have it in my hands, I think it's TOTALLY awesome! Check it out...

The original Solidworks model...
    001.jpg

The finished product!!
    1249.jpg
    1250.jpg

2. agentmissa
    agentmissa Member
    looks great!

3. ldemrys
    Thanks... The pictures don't do it justice...

4. Very nice! It was not very long ago when I received my very first 3d print I designed. Its a great feeling!

5. seriaforma
    seriaforma Well-Known Member
    Very nice -- it looks great in steel - very rustic.

6. halcyonflow
    halcyonflow Member
    Definitely a charming piece, and well proportioned. Possibly some engraved details would look nice as an alternative, like a Celtic pattern or similar. I'm thinking on the lower extremity of the cross, and perhaps at the very top at the front also.

The simplicity is good too, though.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2015
  7. ldemrys
    I'm really pleased with this item. While some knotwork would be nice, I think the simplicity only adds to the charm. I have another Celtic cross that I casted in silver years ago. I've been wearing it for years and have received many compliments on it. I have now added this second cross to hang below the first and have already been complimented several times on it. Yeah. I'm proud of this piece.

8. DBTops
    DBTops Well-Known Member
    Congratulations it looks great. Glad to hear your getting compliments, that's a good feeling.