Square Espresso Cup Concept

Discussion in 'My Work In Progress' started by mvezza, Apr 5, 2015.

1. mvezza
    mvezza Member
    Sq Espresso Cup.png

I'm a coffee/espresso lover - easily going through four cups of espresso each day and six or more cups of coffee. For the longest time I've wanted squared cups for my drinks with an inset square motif. I have no idea where this idea/desire came from, but I've decided to explore it and get some feedback.

Obviously this is a very simple design but I'm open to feedback/suggestions on how to improve. Current there is no handle - which this may be fine not having a handle - but I don't quite know yet how I'd blend a handle into this design.

I also have a rounded version of this - but it reminds me too much of a Pokéball.

As I mentioned, any ideas/suggestions/critiques are appreciated!

2. Magic
    Magic Well-Known Member
    I am afraid there is a reason why cups are not square. I let you discover which one...

For a hint, see the attached picture...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 7, 2015
  3. mvezza
    mvezza Member
    There are "square" cups out there, in fact.

62af3__DSC_2928.jpg
    square-espresso-cup.jpg
    White-Square-Coffee-Cup-Saucer-300x300.jpg

4. Magic
    Magic Well-Known Member
    I did not try those (I can only speak from the ones I designed myself).
    But anyways, I did not mean to prevent you from experimenting your new design. The beauty of 3D-printing is to be able to experiment new designs without investing too much.
    My mesage was just a little warning about hot coffee spilling from the corners.
    Forewarned is forearmed... :)

5. I would be concerned about the lip of the cup and how easy it is to drink out of with the outer wall curving in.

6. mygadgetlife
    mygadgetlife Well-Known Member
    Well it is possible to have a square cup that's round - here's one I made earlier:

image.jpg

I'm not convinced an angled face sloping outwards, combined with the linear profile, would make for a great drinking experience. Watch those corners too, they look quite sharp - might not take glaze so well.

Good luck!

Steven

7. Plumguy
    Plumguy Member
    Looks like a cool design.
    My suggestion would be to make the inside round
    and the outside square, but sides flared outward.
    Could use Blender to design the outer square shape, then boolean a sphere to get the inside shape.
    Just my $0.02