Home » Community » Post Production Techniques » Gold plate finishing?
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Gold plate finishing? [message #13383] Fri, 04 June 2010 15:53 UTC Go to next message
avatar gibell  is currently offline gibell
Go to my shop
I've ordered a bunch of stuff with the gold plate finish, but they have not arrived yet. A friend received a bunch, and reported that the finish was "dull". Any tips on polishing up gold-plated items? One would have to be careful to avoid wearing through the coating, I would think.
Re: Gold plate finishing? [message #13384 is a reply to message #13383 ] Fri, 04 June 2010 17:15 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
I ordered mine the first day it was announced, and just received it yesterday. So it takes some time. I didn't find mine to be dull http://www.shapeways.com/model/118907/gold_heart_ring.html
I'll ask my Aunt tomorrow about polishing. She's a Jeweler. So I should have something for you Monday.

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate
Re: Gold plate finishing? [message #13435 is a reply to message #13383 ] Mon, 07 June 2010 12:18 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar GlenG  is currently offline GlenG
Go to all my models
All polishing for plated parts needs to be done before the plating procedure. The final shine will only be as good as the pre-plated surface condition and you will most certainly remove the gold if you use any abrasive materials coarser than a jewelers "rouge cloth."

-G

"Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art."
Leonardo da Vinci
Re: Gold plate finishing? [message #13638 is a reply to message #13435 ] Sat, 12 June 2010 22:38 UTC Go to previous message
avatar euphy  is currently offline euphy
Go to my shop
The finish is no different than the stainless steel finish for the most part. The bit that gets cut off and polished where the brass sprue has gone in is a little duller than the stainless steel version, but overall it's not much different. And even though I say it's "duller", its not dull, just has a slightly different "satin" kind of quality to it.

sn

Previous Topic:A class surface service?
Next Topic:Protecting spray coating for WSF ?

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.